What would you call this joint?

TBaiga

Just learning sketchup and have been practicing joinery. I love the look of the through tenon and started thinking about ways to engineer a double through tenon. Basically draw a lap joint and cut 2 half blind tails on the 2 outside edges, then I used two proud splines with the interlock pin...at least I think that's one way to describe this. There are probably several other ways too. (1) Is this feasible, (2) ever seen anything like it (i'm sure someone has done this) and (3) what is it called? :)

false through tenons.skp

I'm having trouble getting a handle on what theoretical purpose these splines would have served if we were back in the old days of protein glue. A lap joint would want to lift apart and these splines wouldn't resist that at all. If you were to involve the participation of any sort of dovetail, it would be a double dovetail key (aka a butterfly) applied to the outsides to prevent the top piece from lifting off. Could even carry that a step further and make a classic puzzle joint out of it.

puzzle%20lap%20joint.jpg

But any of this would be overkill and flagrant joinery showboating. With modern adhesives, a plain old lap joint is already stronger than a team of wild horses.