Spraying finish indoors w/o a special setup?

newbiewoodworker

I was wondering if it is possible to spray finish, like latex paint, indoors, without a finishing room. Unfortuantely, my whole shop, is a single car garage... so I don't have a spray booth. I did my first spray today: Outdoors... it was cold. About 20*.. I quickly sprayed, then ran inside with everything.

But can I spray inside, without issue? That would be perfered.. but Im afraid of mist settling on my tools. Will it do so; or can I just NOT aim it at my tools, and be fine?

Its a toybox.. so its gunna be sprayed on the ground...

The spraygun, is a $15 Harbour Freight Special... an LVLP, it was the only thing that I could find that would spray Latex.. cheaply..

I was wondering if it is possible to spray finish, like latex paint, indoors, without a finishing room. Unfortuantely, my whole shop, is a single car garage... so I don't have a spray booth. I did my first spray today: Outdoors... it was cold. About 20*.. I quickly sprayed, then ran inside with everything.

But can I spray inside, without issue? That would be perfered.. but Im afraid of mist settling on my tools. Will it do so; or can I just NOT aim it at my tools, and be fine?

Its a toybox.. so its gunna be sprayed on the ground...

The spraygun, is a $15 Harbour Freight Special... an LVLP, it was the only thing that I could find that would spray Latex.. cheaply..

Sure - Since you're spraying water based (Latex) paint, there;s no explosion hazard. You'll still want some kind of ventalation if possible- Any airborn finish, regarldess of how small, still isn't great for your health ;) But an LVLP gun shouldn't produce too much overspray at all.

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks.

I got a respirator for the health issues.

What about the issue of it getting on tools and such? Should I just cover everything, and it will be fine? Or should I expect to see white(colour of paint/primer) speks on everything?

Well, With a LVLP gun, you should have minimal overspray. Covering up things with plastic sheeting isn't a bad idea - But, if the gun is set up right, I'd be surprised if you even get any dry powder accumulating on the surrounding items...

When I have to spray in my shop (Mainly because a project is too big for my finishing room) I don't cover anything, and I'm using an HVLP gun, with all sorts of finishes...

Hope this helps

On thing to be cautious of is your floor. I know you mentioned paint, so you will likely throw down some cardboard or something. But if you ever decide to spray clear finish, definitely protect your floor. Aside from making unsightly stains, the atomized finish will coat the floor and make it super slippery. If you aren't expecting it and you are used to walking on raw concrete, you could easily end up on your butt!

You want to spray in your garage, not in the house correct?

Another Idea is to hang plastic (old bed sheets work better) over some clothes line rope and make a wall and to seal off that part of your garage. Make like a mini spray room. If you use plastic, put bricks or something down to hold the plastic tight against the floor so your plastic wall wont pillow in and out and stick to your project.

If your running an air compressor in the same room, keep those filters clean. Don't want you compressor breathing in too much paint. Or keep the compressor as far away as possible. But using a LVLP as the others mentioned, over-spray not that big of a deal.

-Ace-

The compressor has filters? Lol.. thanks for the info... lol...

Unfortunately, I don't exactly have another room I can put it in... the only other alternative, is, in the house.... but that won't fly at all.... lol...

I do have it outside the partition. I hung everything from the garage door track, so its similar to clothes lining... And I taped everything to either the door, the wall, or another "wall"..

One question about spraying: How do I get a good spray flow. It seems to be taking for ever to get a buildup... and then its got air bubble bursts on it. I have it thinned, with Floetrol, to about 70:30.. But I cannot, for the life of me, try to get those settings right. I am trying to put out as much material, in as little time, since I have a small, 2 gal compressor... It meets the needs, air wise, its just a tad small, so I don't wanna over do the duty cycle too much.

The compressor has filters? Lol.. thanks for the info... lol...

Unfortunately, I don't exactly have another room I can put it in... the only other alternative, is, in the house.... but that won't fly at all.... lol...

I do have it outside the partition. I hung everything from the garage door track, so its similar to clothes lining... And I taped everything to either the door, the wall, or another "wall"..

One question about spraying: How do I get a good spray flow. It seems to be taking for ever to get a buildup... and then its got air bubble bursts on it. I have it thinned, with Floetrol, to about 70:30.. But I cannot, for the life of me, try to get those settings right. I am trying to put out as much material, in as little time, since I have a small, 2 gal compressor... It meets the needs, air wise, its just a tad small, so I don't wanna over do the duty cycle too much.

Floetrol is added to latex paint to help it flow out better and slow the dry or more open time. I don't believe it thins the paint to make it spray better like a thinner? I don't use it so I don't know for sure. (hope someone can help that uses Floetrol ) I'm not sure your gun is the best thing for spraying a thick paint . Is this wall paint or a good brand named wood or furniture paint your trying to spray? Most good wood/furniture paint need a 1.8 needle and nozzle and are formulated to spray or brush. Not saying you can't spray wall paint.

You gun is going to lay down thin light coats its an LVLP. My suggestion is to not use the Flotrol, thin the paint more with water and spray thin light coats. If you slow your delivery (spray using slower passes and cross hatch) you may get more paint down. Keep fussing with it till you get it right. You indicated your spraying in the cold. Perhaps warming up the paint first in your kitchen sink is a way to go. Make a hot bath with tap water put your small container of paint in that...no open flames or on the stove.

Yes some compressors have filters. The small pancakes I don't think have any. You should be fine...now If you are spraying an oil based, that gets gummy and can play hell on the compressor.:o

-Ace-

I figured it out.... adjust a setting here... move a knob there... adjust the pressure over there... Presto.. sprays like a charmer... Now if only I could remember the steps.. lol...

You aren't suppose to thin Latex with Water.... something about it doesn't agree... But Floetrol worked well... Now I just need to get white paint... Ill put down a couple heavy coats of that...call it a day... lol...

Anyway... Thanks for the help

I set up a small booth in my garage with tarps and sprayed water base top coat and there was spray everywhere in the air so I think u should cover everthing also I think it is hard to keep the finish from going in the air and back on the already finished stuff.maybe with some type of fan going to keep the finish out of the air will help.