Human Error

So, I have grown tired of postponing my woodworking. Over the past couple of months I have been acquiring some new tools and decided to give my new Dowelmax a try. My project is a very small simple shelf that isn't anything special. I used the checkmarks to set up the Dowelmax for joining 3 small boards together. It was very easy so I decided to teach my 8 year old son to do it (no, this was not where the human error occurred). I did a test fit on the joints and it was beautiful! Now for the glue up. I used my tightbond II and inserted dowels in the left and right board, leaving the holes in the middle empty and ready to receive the other two boards... can you see it coming? I didn't check the orientation of the middle board until the clamps were secure with glue squeezing out of the joints. It was upside down leaving about an offset just proud of 1/16". Doh!

On a positive note I tried many new things I had never done before and almost all of them I learned from Marc's videos.

-Using stop blocks on chop saw

-Using the Dowelmax

-Using parallel clamps

-Blue tape on clamps for glue

-Using Tightbond

-Using acid brushes

-Scraping off the squeeze out after 30 min

Still to come:

-Final assembly

-Sanding out my mistake

-Learning from my mistake (only time will tell)

-Using Shellac or Wipe-on Poly

Quite a few firsts and I got to spend some time with my son teaching him something. We both enjoyed that!

Regards,

Mark

So, I have grown tired of postponing my woodworking. Over the past couple of months I have been acquiring some new tools and decided to give my new Dowelmax a try. My project is a very small simple shelf that isn't anything special. I used the checkmarks to set up the Dowelmax for joining 3 small boards together. It was very easy so I decided to teach my 8 year old son to do it (no, this was not where the human error occurred). I did a test fit on the joints and it was beautiful! Now for the glue up. I used my tightbond II and inserted dowels in the left and right board, leaving the holes in the middle empty and ready to receive the other two boards... can you see it coming? I didn't check the orientation of the middle board until the clamps were secure with glue squeezing out of the joints. It was upside down leaving about an offset just proud of 1/16". Doh!

On a positive note I tried many new things I had never done before and almost all of them I learned from Marc's videos.

-Using stop blocks on chop saw

-Using the Dowelmax

-Using parallel clamps

-Blue tape on clamps for glue

-Using Tightbond

-Using acid brushes

-Scraping off the squeeze out after 30 min

Still to come:

-Final assembly

-Sanding out my mistake

-Learning from my mistake (only time will tell)

-Using Shellac or Wipe-on Poly

Quite a few firsts and I got to spend some time with my son teaching him something. We both enjoyed that!

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for including us in your project. I have done the exact same thing so don't give it a second thought. It's awesome your son gets to participate, perhaps you can give us some pics as it progresses. What's next?

Dave