Having to turn away work

Tom King

Got an inquiry today about making complete replacement window units for a turn of the 20th Century house.  Someone had thrown away the originals, and put in vinyl windows, destroying the inside and outside casings in the process.

20 double hungs, with period correct glass, 4x8 feet, with arched tops, to match a few originals they have left.  It's a big, three story building.

I told them that they were probably looking at a quarter, but they wanted me to come look at it.  I thought that would just scare them away.

I don't have time for it, and have even thought about partially retiring, which I have been sort of practicing lately.

• Like 1

I don't even try to keep up with what other people do, and don't even work on a job with other people working there-loose too many tools, and too much bother.  It's some big outfit doing the whole job, so I'm sure they can find someone who can do it.  I only worry about what I'm working on.

I'm sure they will be getting bids, and probably would go with the cheapest anyway.  I'd be glad to get 250 for that job.  Right now, I have what looks like to be all I can ever do seven miles from home.   That job is about 75 miles away.  

• Like 1