advice on nightstand plans

derf

nightstandc.jpg

I'm gearing up to build a pair of nightstands for my bedroom and eventually a matching dresser. This is the general design I was planning on using for frame of the nightstand. I want to do the drawer faces and the top (neither is pictured) in a contrasting wood. You won't be able to see the joint on the top.

I was also planning on using some plywood for the rear (the slot pictured).

I am also undecided if I want to make the two joints blind so you can't see them from the front, or if I want to put a face on the front to hide them.

I'm trying to make it as strong as possible without using any screws or nails.

Any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated, this is the first piece of furniture I am going to try and build from the ground up in a few years so any advice is welcomed.

Hi Derf,

Four years ago two nightstands became my first woodworking project. I was hooked. I purchased (downloadable) plans from PlansNow.com for under $10. Nice design and step-by-step instructions. I made some modifications, but basically followed. Used less ply than they did. Might be more involved than you are looking for. Any book on basic box (cabinet) construction would have lots of suggestions and variations for you to ponder. FURNITURE & CABINET CONSTRUCTION by Andy Rae was one of the first books I bought. Very helpful in the early days. Still pull it out on occasion just to run through possibilities. A bed stand can be very basic as you’ve sketched and serve well. I'd suggest something more furniture-like for a dresser though. If you'd like them to be a "set" I believe more thought should go into this before you begin. Problem with that is you may become paralyzed. Thing is, after building one piece and evaluating you'll very likely discover more about your taste and skills. After my first night stands, I made a few small round tables following magazine articles. Then a dresser was next "big" piece. Lots had changed in my skill and awareness levels (and tool list).

If you use relatively inexpensive materials there is much benefit to jumping in. Make something. Learn. You can always bequeath the first works to someone in need and make better ones using more expensive material. We still use and enjoy our original nightstands.

If you are thinking of a dresser you should join Marc's Guild. They just finished a dresser and discussed variations to make simple or complex. I believe he also posted some videos on the free site for your referral. Guild videos might have more detail if you want more good info.

I'll try to attach a couple of pix of my night stands.

post-357-0-65480100-1295536122_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-94681400-1295536123_thumb.jpg

This morning Joel of Tools for Working Wood posted a nice blog on getting started.

More of a pep talk than how-to, but worth checking.

Found myself nodding in affirmation while reading.

Don't be thrown off by the opening photo of a Cheater Pastrami sandwich ; )

http://toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html

I just notice that my avatar (?) photo shows a bow saw that I bought from Joel after reading another of his blogs on the design process of that little item. One of my favorite tools.

Yeh I wanted simple and easy, something that can be accomplished in a few weeks. This will be a learning experience, as well as (hopefully functional) something I can use.

I really wanted to know more if it would be stable and strong, or should I be looking to use other methods of joinery? Possibly more supports in the center between the planned 3 drawers with dado joints?

Derf,

Generally when using glued dados and rabbits you'd want to reinforce with nails or screws. An alternative might be to add glue blocks to inside corners/edges.

If this is plywood (so movement is not an issue), a back panel glued into rabbits might be enough to have it hold up.

That would help racking forces (making it distort side to side.

A "shelf" glued into a dado for the drawer to run on will also help your cause.

Glue blocks on the bottom piece (underneath) would not be visible and would help in conjunction with the glued back panel.

All should make it work if you don't load it up with heavy books like some of us do.

I don't believe a face frame really helps your strength issue, but does help appearance.