Multi-level Box

thatCharlieDude

I was talking with my wife about my newest project and when she saw my rough blank she mentioned I should make a 3 level box. has anybody turned a multi-level box? I've turned several boxes but nothing layered. I don't think I'll use this blank for a multi-layered box since I don't think it's long enough. Anything I should watch out for? Thanks! 

IMG_20170722_101008.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

The shape resembles a Japanese lunchbox with multiple cylindrical containers. Cutting and fitting a lid on the bottom of the box above will take some carefully planned chucking /re-chucking.

Nah I do the lids from the same piece and as long as they're all the same axis it's easy to cut it. 

It's been a while since I did a lidded box, so I may have the procedure wrong... But if you did the lower level first, and treat the rest of the blank as the lid for that one, the tenon for the lower box lid could easily be rechucked and then repeat for the upper levels.   Then turn of the tenon off the top of the top lid to finish it, and inside chuck the bottom box to turn off that tenon (unless you put a mortise there). 

I like this idea, I may have to try one some day. 

• Like 1