World wide shortage of Shellac ??

Saddlestrum

posted January 20, 2011

With a good deal of caution, and with no desire to be an alarmist....I was conversing today with my elderly, sagely, "go to" guy at my favorite, and well stocked finishing store. He told me they have been told to expect shellac prices to increase ten-fold (quote) and possibly experience empty shelves in the shellac section due to lac beetles not mating this year in India and Thailand.

It's very unusual that he would advise me to stock up on anything but the fact he has done so, makes me think there might be something to this.

Shunning things like "urban legends", I'm wondering if others on this forum have heard anything about this. Some other forums are discussing it so not sure where they are sourcing their info.

Liquid shellac has a limited shelf life so there's no point stockpiling that stuff for the long term. Flakes are the most stable but I've never delved into the black art of mixing my own shellac before. Perhaps this is my time to learn.

I'd welcome any comments that contribute to a rational conversation of this issue. Thanks

p.s. some substantiation seems to be supplied by several nail polish companies saying they are not able to supply their full line of colors due to shellac being in short supply....not that nail polish has a home on my work bench :huh:

posted January 20, 2011

With a good deal of caution, and with no desire to be an alarmist....I was conversing today with my elderly, sagely, "go to" guy at my favorite, and well stocked finishing store. He told me they have been told to expect shellac prices to increase ten-fold (quote) and possibly experience empty shelves in the shellac section due to lac beetles not mating this year in India and Thailand.

It's very unusual that he would advise me to stock up on anything but the fact he has done so, makes me think there might be something to this.

Shunning things like "urban legends", I'm wondering if others on this forum have heard anything about this. Some other forums are discussing it so not sure where they are sourcing their info.

Liquid shellac has a limited shelf life so there's no point stockpiling that stuff for the long term. Flakes are the most stable but I've never delved into the black art of mixing my own shellac before. Perhaps this is my time to learn.

I'd welcome any comments that contribute to a rational conversation of this issue. Thanks

p.s. some substantiation seems to be supplied by several nail polish companies saying they are not able to supply their full line of colors due to shellac being in short supply....not that nail polish has a home on my work bench :huh:

Hmmm... This may not be good... I'll have to find out more.. Thanks for the heads up!

A 1 pound cut = 1 lb. of shellac flake in 1 gallon of denatured alcohol, or 2 ounces per pint. A 2 lb. cut is 4 oz./pint, and so on.

from this old house...

Mix. Pour the alcohol into a glass container with a lid. Stir in the flakes, close the lid, and give the jar a shake every 10 minutes or so for an hour, then let it sit overnight for the flakes to dissolve. The shellac will be ready to use the next day and should last for 6 to 12 months.

Filter. Before you start shellacking, stir the mix, then filter it into a separate container through a cotton T-shirt to remove any undissolved bits.

You'll need a kitchen scale (digital is nice), glass measuring cup, lidded jars and filters. I also recommend filtering the denatured alcohol first. Also a word on scales and measuring devices, these things vary a lot in precision and accuracy (difference between a plastic ruler and a starrett square). I'd get a calibration weight set (it'll last your lifetime) so year after year, batch after batch is consistent.

For the shop chemists, keep in mind that it's "1 lb in 1 gallon" and not "1 lb plus 1 gallon". The flakes have density and displace volume too as they dissolve, so you need to fill to a line premarked as your target volume and leave it a little short and adjust final volume after the flake has gone into solution.

For the shop chemists, keep in mind that it's "1 lb in 1 gallon" and not "1 lb plus 1 gallon".

I'm a chemist (clinical and toxicology)with experience in the wood finishes industry.

A one pound cut of shellac is one pound of shellac PLUS one gallon of alcohol.

Thus, the resulting solution will be greater than a gallon.

Shellac cuts are weight plus volume.