Kapex

dlamulle

Ok, after Chet checked out my new shop photos this afternoon, he suggested I ditch my Radial arm saw and replace it with a Kapex. I'm doing it!! So this question is for some Kapex owners, how accurate is it? Can I go from this saw to glue up? I usually use a sled for my joints but it would be awesome if I could crosscut and then go straight to assembly. Let's hear how much you like it.

Dave

I cannot answer your questions as I do not own a Kapex (allthough I wish I did).

But, in the event you are interested in purchasing one, I saw that Festool have reconditionned and garanteed Kapex saws on their web sites. They sell them for 10 to 20 % off the price of a new one.

I just thought you'd like to know ... :)

Ok, after Chet checked out my new shop photos this afternoon, he suggested I ditch my Radial arm saw and replace it with a Kapex. I'm doing it!! So this question is for some Kapex owners, how accurate is it? Can I go from this saw to glue up? I usually use a sled for my joints but it would be awesome if I could crosscut and then go straight to assembly. Let's hear how much you like it.

Dave

Wow, so one question: Dave, will you always take my advice?

If so, I think you should actually buy 2 Kapex and send me one.

Worth a try.

Chet

Wow, so one question: Dave, will you always take my advice?

If so, I think you should actually buy 2 Kapex and send me one.

Worth a try.

Chet

To answer your question, I will if advises buying something I've longed for but only needed that final little nudge to go for it and you so eloquently provide that nudge,wink.gifand I will of course if it's good sound advice and you hit a home run by scoring on both counts.

Your second, But you didn't include a self addressed and stamped envelope.

I wonder if they have a multiple Kapex discount? Hmmm..

Dave

The cut quality is really good, but there are very few if any surfaces that I don't have to work on before final assembly. Even the best still isn't perfect.

If you don't mind me asking how you tweek a cut before you glue up? When I make a cut on my sled it's done, I don't do anything else. For instance, when you cut the parts for your computer table, (I love your computer rigs BTW, I'm an online gamer as well so I can appreciate them), you cut them on your Kapex and it looked like you went straight to the Domino to prepare for the joints. The 3 pieces, foot, middle spanner, top bracket, all fit perfectly. Did you do something in between or was that a good enough cut? Thanks so much for the insight Marc.

Dave

haha, you should actually tell them that you considered buying a different brand of miter saw after you found out they no longer sponsor Marc.

My guess is that Festool sponsored Marc when they first started selling in the US, before anyone knew who they were. It was never going to be a permanent arrangement. It's not like they dropped Marc and switched to a different sponsor.

The last thing we want is for some new tool company to think, "Should we sponsor The Wood Whisperer to get some name recognition? No, remember what happened to Festool, when they stopped sponsoring Marc they got a lot of grief."

It's like any sort of contract job: you want to leave the customer happy and provide good support afterwards. It only helps your reputation and leads to new contracts with other customers.

Dave

Enjoy the new Kapex, Dave. I was considering one until the Bosch Glide Saw came out. While I'm very happy with the Bosch, I've never heard a bad thing about the Kapex, so you should be happy too.