Lie-Nielsen Vs Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane

JeffWaggoner

I am in the market for a medium shoulder plane. And I am looking at

Veritas® Medium Shoulder Plane, A2 $179.00

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48430&cat=1,41182,41192&ap=1

Lie-Nielsen Medium Shoulder Plane $195.00

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=042

The price difference is $16 on a tool I plan to have the rest of my life this is not what I will use to decide.

As for use I do a lot of mortise and tenon and I sometimes need to trim the shoulders. I have a Rabbet Block Plane to trim the cheeks. I have always heard that if you only have one shoulder plane it should be a medium.

Hi Jeff,

How well does the Rabbet Block Plane work for trimming the cheeks? I have been thinking about getting one.

James

The Rabbet Block Plane works great for trimming the cheeks. The wider surface makes it easier to hold level and in most cases plane the whole width in one pass making it less likely to reshape the tenon.

I have tried using the rabbet block plane for the shoulders with very little success but I am need to this so it may just be me. I don’t feel like I can control it and keep it strait.

• Like 1

I also have the Veritas shoulder plane. I like mine, but it was my first and only shoulder plane, so I can't offer much in the way of a comparison.

The $16 dollar difference could buy you something else. Or if you are getting them shipped to you than that may be a factor. For me, being in Canada, the cross border, exchange rate and extra shipping made a bigger price difference in the two.

Hi Jeff

I have the LV Medium shoulder and find it very comfortable to use , I tried out the LN and I just couldn't get comfortable using it . To be fair I didn't spend much time with it . I would suggest you try them both out in person if you can . Perhaps some woodworkers close by will let you come over . I always invite fellow woodworkers over if their in my area . LN is having a Hand Tool event this weekend in Cali somewhere that would give you a chance to try the complete lineup , check the web site how for the location .

If you don't get a chance to handle them in person you can't go wrong with either plane , both company's make excellent products . I believe LV has a 30 return policy no questions asked , but check that to make sure .

Regards

Jerry

The Rabbet Block Plane works great for trimming the cheeks. The wider surface makes it easier to hold level and in most cases plane the whole width in one pass making it less likely to reshape the tenon.

I have tried using the rabbet block plane for the shoulders with very little success but I am need to this so it may just be me. I don’t feel like I can control it and keep it strait.

Thanks for info Jeff. I am also really new to this as well. I don't have block plane yet and the LN Rabbet block plane may just be what I am looking for. I don't have a shoulder plane either so I will be curious to see what you go with.

I'm a fan of the Veritas shoulder planes. I have both a LN and a Veritas and I find the Veritas to be more comfortable to use. The adjustable wooden handles are a nice feature too so you can lay the plane on it's side and turn the handle.

Shannon gives great advice so I would be inclined to lean toward Veritas. Also not sure if you have heard of Shannon's Hand Tool School. It's online video instruction website on using hand tools as well as building projects focused on hand tool only work. My explanation is probably not doing the hand tool any justice but it's great, especially for noobs like myself.

I tried out the Veritas at the woodworking show in Indianapolis last weekend didn't have much luck with it but I don't think it was sharp. I asked one of their people to help me with it and he didn't have any luck either so he suggested the large one and he didn't have any luck with it either. At that point he just put it down and didn't want to touch it again. I asked him about a beading tool I had just bought from them and he said he didn't really know anything about them ether. Now to be fare I don't think this guy is up for employees of the year. My true feeling at this point is that if I buy ether one I will have to lean to sharpen and use it properly. At that point I think I will be happy with ether.

At this point I am leaning just a little to the LN mainly because I have never been disappointed with anything I have got from them in the past. I hope my experience with Bob the builder at the wood show is not clouding my vision.

I am in the market for a medium shoulder plane. And I am looking at

Veritas® Medium Shoulder Plane, A2 $179.00

http://www.leevalley...1182,41192&ap=1

Lie-Nielsen Medium Shoulder Plane $195.00

http://www.lie-niels...log.php?sku=042

The price difference is $16 on a tool I plan to have the rest of my life this is not what I will use to decide.

As for use I do a lot of mortise and tenon and I sometimes need to trim the shoulders. I have a Rabbet Block Plane to trim the cheeks. I have always heard that if you only have one shoulder plane it should be a medium.

I see you live in indiana, are you close to the Marc Adams school of Woodworking? Tom Lie Nielson will be there in April with Chris Schwartz doing a weekend long plane demo if you are interested. I found it very interesting and I got to use every plane they make and they are scary sharp. If you do go, bring an empty credit card, mine hurt for months because they give a great discount if you buy them from him there.

Dave

I see you live in indiana, are you close to the Marc Adams school of Woodworking? Tom Lie Nielson will be there in April with Chris Schwartz doing a weekend long plane demo if you are interested. I found it very interesting and I got to use every plane they make and they are scary sharp. If you do go, bring an empty credit card, mine hurt for months because they give a great discount if you buy them from him there.

Dave

Yes it is about 45 mins from us. I have been planning to take some classes there this year if time and money permit. We spent some time with Chris Schwartz at WIA last year and he is one of the nicest and most helpful guys I have every meet. He spent more than an hour with Jalen and I setting up and sharpening a new plan I bought.

post-1764-0-56501000-1296113383_thumb.jp

post-1764-0-89131500-1296113430_thumb.jp