Dado Sets

Renzo

There has been much talk to Dado set preferences, so don't worry i'm not asking a question that's been asked 10 times before :)

I've got a Lee Valley gift certificate so i'm considering this 8" set. (the 24 tooth) Anyone have any experience with them?

They also have the Forrest Dado king which is what I was first going to get, but just wondering how this set compares.

Renzo, I can't answer any of your questions, but I can say that I have the 6" freud set and it does just fine for a fraction of the price of the ones you linked. I know it not Lee Valley or Forrest, but it make a Dado!

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD206-6-Inch-Professional-Dado/dp/B0000223O8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296058155&sr=8-5

I bought mine a handful of years ago and I think that I paid about the same as it is now.

Yeah i've looked at the Freud as i have a few other freud blades, and i'd probably get the 6" as i also doubt i'll need the 8". BUT having a $150 Lee Valley gift certiificate makes getting a dado from them a no brainer. And those two are the ones they carry.

I can only say good things about the Forrest. I've never heard anything about the LV. What I will add is, that I've only needed the 8" on one occasion in 12 years. If I did it over again, I'd buy the 6".

I have owned an 8" Freud Stack Dado for a long time, and I've made a ton of dados. I really can't complain about it. The Lee Valley and The Forrest I'm sure are very nice. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. After all any of them will make Dados. If you use Dados the way I do, which is basically in cabinet making. I think the difference between them is pretty small. I'm pretty much concerned with the depth and width of the dado. My Freud makes the bottom of the dado pretty darn flat. Could it be flatter with the Forrest or the Lee Valley… Maybe, I’m not sure. I guess it is possible that the Forrest or Lee Valley will sand the bottom of the dado with 350 grit sand-paper, but I have to admit in all the time I’ve been woodworking I’ve never needed anything better than the Freud.

So, I guess what I’m saying is if you are truly loyal to one manufacturer, then by all means buy their dado. But otherwise get any quality dado that’s priced well and go to town. You won’t be sorry. They are all pretty good.

I have owned an 8" Freud Stack Dado for a long time, and I've made a ton of dados. I really can't complain about it. The Lee Valley and The Forrest I'm sure are very nice. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. After all any of them will make Dados. If you use Dados the way I do, which is basically in cabinet making. I think the difference between them is pretty small. I'm pretty much concerned with the depth and width of the dado. My Freud makes the bottom of the dado pretty darn flat. Could it be flatter with the Forrest or the Lee Valley… Maybe, I’m not sure. I guess it is possible that the Forrest or Lee Valley will sand the bottom of the dado with 350 grit sand-paper, but I have to admit in all the time I’ve been woodworking I’ve never needed anything better than the Freud.

So, I guess what I’m saying is if you are truly loyal to one manufacturer, then by all means buy their dado. But otherwise get any quality dado that’s priced well and go to town. You won’t be sorry. They are all pretty good.

I have to agree with Chet. I had the same issue when I was ready to buy a dado set, so I bought the Freud because it was on sale and I have had no problems with it other than my own inattentiveness (recently cut a dado without zeroing my miter gauge). Go with your gut and the company you love.