Pre-Staining Iron on Edge Banding

Keggers

I need some help. I'm building another Lego table for yet another granddaughter. I used 3/4" plywood for the top of the table and need to edge band those ugly plywood sides. I'm using iron on edge banding and was wondering if anyone has ever pre-stained the banding and if so was the stain affected by the heat of the iron. In case you're wondering - I've already attached the Lego plates to the top of the plywood and I'm trying to avoid getting the stain on the plates. Thank you for any help you can give.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I would do a test run on scrap. If you don't have the iron too hot and keep it moving it may work. Staining the loose edgeband might be fun....

Yes, I've stained a test strip just waiting for it to dry. And staining a long strip should be "interesting."

I went with the iron on edge banding and put some liberon paste wax on it early this morning. I felt that since I'd made the mistake of already attaching the lego plates to the top the liberon wax was the safest option. I'll post pictures of the finished project tomorrow.