Bench dog holes

Godet

If ten people respond, you'll likely get ten different answers. This is one of those personal preference things. That said, I did the first 6 holes, about 4 inches apart, then spaced them out about 6 inches after that. The one thing I don't want is a bench top with a ton of holes in it, that things can fall through.

Take a roll of blue tape, and run two strips down the top. Using a black sharpie, lay them out by marking, and stand back and look at them. Take your time, and make triple sure it's what you want. Regretting the hole placement, and amount is the last thing you want now! Good Luck!

I just finished my bench and only have a face vise on it right now. I put a row of holes about 4 inches apart as Ben H said. If I could do it over again, I would have placed the vise so that it would be a little more "inboard" of the end of the bench. Then I would have put two rows of dog holes so that I would always have three points of contact. Very easy to clamp a board in place that way. Maybe if I put an end vise on I'll do it that way.

You have a twin screw like this?? http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=45114&cat=1,41659 so you can get away with one central row of holes for the triangular set-up.

As for the dogs, I had some 3/4" hardwood dowel and cut a piece about 2" long, drilled my holes about 1 1/2" deep. The dog has a slight cant cut into it (3 degrees or so). I did it on the band saw but you could just as easily cut it by hand.

Jack

i've been reading christopher shcwartz's workbenches book he sys and i quote(it's tempting to space your dogs based on the maximum throw of your vice. resist this lazy urge. keep them 3" apart and you'll be messing with your vice less and working wood more.)