Looking for a new Compound Sliding Miter Saw....

A_Vitale

So guys I am in the market for a new sliding miter saw and want some advice. I have had a 12'' Dewalt and think this time I will probably buy a 10'' that still can handle large crowns and stair newels that I am installing every day at work. I will also be using the saw in my home shop for miter and what not.

My three options and thoughts on each are as follows, I would love to here your personal opinions:

Kapex- Expensive but a state of the art machine, almost too nice to bring outta the shop though!

Bosch Glider- I had a chance to check this thing out, works great and really is well made. the gliding feature is super smooth and take very little room behind the saw.

Jet- I have alot of jet stuff and have been very happy with all of it, and from what I have read people seem to be real happy with them!

So whats your thoughts?

I also have the Hitachi 12" w/laser and digital readout. As mentioned it is heavy but I'm happy with it. Cabinet maker friend just bought the Bosch glider and can't say enough good things about it. Of course there's the Green Kool-aid which has great reviews (no surprise). The 10" Makita at BORG looks nice and decent capacity. Personally I prefer the capacity of the 12" sliders.

I am a 2 sliding miter saw kind of guy. I have the 12" Hitachi and I love it. However, I would avoid the 10" Hitachi Slider. It doesn't seem as good. If you are going to be dragging this thing around with you, the 12" Hitachi weighs a metric ton. Mine is semi-permanently affixed to a place in my shop.

I have to say that Kapex is slick like snot on a doorknob, but jeez I’d be leery of dragging a $1500 investment around from job-site to job-site.

As far as I know the Bosch Glider only comes in a 12 inch model today. I agree with you that it’s nice to bring a slightly smaller (i.e. 10”) saw to job-sites, and for my money, for that kind of work you can’t beat the Makita. Although, all of my buddies who have Bosch’s seem very happy. I don’t know a soul who has the Jet slider.

Good point Chet if that 10" hitachi is still in production stay away from it. You can always spot it because the green is a different color than the rest of the hitachi line. It is not sun faded it is outsourced by hitachi. I had info at one point that said it was made in the same factory as the harbor freight brand tools, but that info is not backed up by much fact.

I dunno. That green machine sliding hitachi one at lowes has got me drooling. It was $399 over the holidays but it's up to about $450 now. I like how it can go flush against the wall. I forget the model number but it looks awesome.

I use my lil 10" delta constantly probably more than any other PT. If I were to pull the trigger today on one, I'd probably hit that thang. It looks like something from Alien vs Predator too

My $.02 worth:

Stick with the 12". Makita and Bosch both make good units, I've used a couple of the Makitas over the years and they work well, no experience with the Bosch saws but I hear good things from friends that're still in the business.

Unless you absolutely have a definite need for a slider I wouldn't buy one. I have yet to lay hands on one that'll cut wide crown in bed easier than a regular CMS, the fences are too short(vertically) and the fixed tables are too small with too big a gap between them and the swing table to be comfortable. "Back in the day" I ran miles of crown up to 6" with a 12" B&D Pro saw(predecessor of the diaper-stain colored big box replacement version :angry:) before it was stolen. For wider stuff I cut it flat with the old Hitachi 8-1/2" slider, sort of a PITA but you get used to the limitations(I hate cutting crown flat). I know lots of trim carpenters who swear by their Hitachi 15" saws but they're heavy as lead, expensive and hard to come by.

That said, I currently use the Hitachi C8FB2 and the Kapex. The Kapex is absolutely priceless for its dust collection and a big PITA for everything else. The ergonomics suck( you have to reach 'way too high at an awkward angle to press the thumb safety and the trigger), there's nothing intuitive or obvious about the other controls(although I'll give Festool their props for the bevel adjust, big thumbs up for that!) and there's too many moving parts(KISS principle). From what I gather,those moving parts don't always get along. Kind of like a Ferrari :rolleyes:, it's great when it works but I wouldn't want to have to depend on one as a daily driver. But I don't do on-site or production work anymore and it's worth the $1300 to me for time saved in cleaning up and the dust I don't inhale. For a shop saw it's great. Would I buy one to haul around in the back of a truck and depend on for a living? Maybe if it got up early, made coffee and packed my lunch......

HTH,

Bill

Well Thanks alot guys this has all been very helpful...

Here are some of my thoughts from what everyone has mentioned.

-I do need a slider as I cut alot of wide stair treads and overall from my experience it just makes more sense for me to have the ability to cut wide stock.

-I have had the opportunity to play around with the kapex and the more I do I realize as you mentioned bill it just dosent feel super comfortable.

-Overall the Makita seems to be my best bet in terms of price, as mentioned my brother has the saw and LOVES it!

-I know Marc had the Jet slider and seems to have said good thing about it, but other than that I cant get a review for the life of me...lol. No one else has this saw??

If the SCMS is going to be positioned in your shop only, I'd go with the new Bosch saw. Dyami has one and his review was rather stellar. If you're going for a jobsite saw, I'd go with the Makita if you set up outside, as it is the "go to" saw for the majority of work crews in my area. If you're doing custom work inside a residence, then I'd go with the Kapex and associated dust collection. You can't put a price on leaving a customer's home dust free.