CV1800 w/outside venting question

PerfectAgent007

Hi everyone,

I just moved to a new place which has a great space for setting up a shop, and I've been eyeing the Clear Vue CV1800 pretty much since I started watching TWW back in 2013.  Since moving I've been doing some more research on the unit and I wanted to ask this question to Marc and others who have set up their cyclones to vent outside the shop - if you vent outside, have you had any problems with the cyclone pulling air and fumes from HVAC ducts?  The room that I want to transform into my shop has a single heating vent duct that has a flap that can be manually closed from the furnace room, but of course that isn't airtight.  If I were to set up a CV1800 so that it vents outside, which would pull a decent amount of air out of my shop, is it possible that it might suck air and possibly fumes from the heating vent?

If this is something I need to think about, what would be a solution?  Air returns from outside on the other side of the shop?

Many thanks.

28 minutes ago, PerfectAgent007 said:

Hi everyone,

I just moved to a new place which has a great space for setting up a shop, and I've been eyeing the Clear Vue CV1800 pretty much since I started watching TWW back in 2013.  Since moving I've been doing some more research on the unit and I wanted to ask this question to Marc and others who have set up their cyclones to vent outside the shop - if you vent outside, have you had any problems with the cyclone pulling air and fumes from HVAC ducts?  The room that I want to transform into my shop has a single heating vent duct that has a flap that can be manually closed from the furnace room, but of course that isn't airtight.  If I were to set up a CV1800 so that it vents outside, which would pull a decent amount of air out of my shop, is it possible that it might suck air and possibly fumes from the heating vent?

If this is something I need to think about, what would be a solution?  Air returns from outside on the other side of the shop?

Many thanks.

For every molecule of air leaving the shop another will need to enter. You will need a vent from the outside for makeup air. For a free air return you'll want the vent diameter to be larger than the exhaust diameter from the cyclone other wise friction losses will cause some negative pressure. If you are doing this in your house, I'd just run the hepa filter stack. Not sure what the draw is to venting outside.

I have a HEPA cyclone and work in my basement and would never dream of venting outside. The amount of conditioned air lost would just be too much. At 1200 CFM your replacing all of the air in a 750 sq ft shop with 8 foot ceilings in 5 min. Can your heater or AC keep up?

Very good points there.  I did neglect to mention one potentially critical detail earlier, the cyclone would be placed in a shed outside the shop since my ceilings are only 7.5ft tall and I don't believe that's enough clearance (unless I'm mistaken).  Now if I got the filter stack version, placed that in the shed outside, and put, let's say, a 10-inch vent from the shed leading back into the shop, would that be enough or should I go with dual 8- or 10-in returns?

51 minutes ago, PerfectAgent007 said:

Very good points there.  I did neglect to mention one potentially critical detail earlier, the cyclone would be placed in a shed outside the shop since my ceilings are only 7.5ft tall and I don't believe that's enough clearance (unless I'm mistaken).  Now if I got the filter stack version, placed that in the shed outside, and put, let's say, a 10-inch vent from the shed leading back into the shop, would that be enough or should I go with dual 8- or 10-in returns?

I want to say that CV makes a kit that allows side by side filters to account for lower ship ceilings. The other thing that I'm thinking is have the cyclone outside and use a short piece of duct and have the filters inside.

Call clear vue and tell them you have X height from floor to ceiling and ask them what your options are. I know there are solution's that exist that just aren't on the site I've seen them posted on here before i just can't find them.

In the situation your proposing I'd make sure that the shed is WELL sealed and insulated, then the large the return to the shop the less pressure loss there will be. 2 8's would be overkill but would work great a single 10 would be on the smaller side.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

2 8's would be overkill but would work great a single 10 would be on the smaller side.

Seems perfectly reasonable, and sealing and insulating the shed wouldn't be an issue.  But from looking at product images it looks like the cyclone itself, taking into account the motor mounting assembly and the collection bin (whatever form that happens to be) is still considerably taller than the filter stack, so my first instinct is to say I don't know how much help that would be.  Putting the filters in the shop itself as part of the return might be an option though.  I'll have to take some measurements once I get numbers to work with.

I also don't know what your running for a shop but Oneida has a DC that would fit inside your shop with out the shed and all the hassle.

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXVM030139H35VP&CatId={883C6AA7-4C85-49FD-9EEA-C51D09DC8B19}

I personally did the DC debate 6 months ago and pretty much figured out that if i run blast gates on each tool and only have 1 blase gate open at a time i could get away with a 2HP unit. I went with 3 HP so i could run 2 tools at a time just in case. The obove linked oneida unit is 88" tall.

I run a CV1800 in my 2 car garage. I have a 6" input on a blast gate that I can open to let air in, and that input is also a fan for exhaust if I want to exhaust fumes. Since it's a garage, there's .a enough air leakage at the door seams as well for input versus output. I haven't had any negative pressure build up in the shop. 

Exhausting outside is great to be honest. No cleaning of filters, no restrictions and higher suction because of that. Make sure that your exhaust port has a spring loaded flap with a rubber seal, otherwise you'll have issues if you cool the shop and in the summer. You'll get condensation in your ducting and in the cyclone itself.