Timbers to planks?

Stampy

Hi all;

New to the forums (see intro)but I have a question. (If there is a related topic perhaps someone could direct me to it)

My father has over the years amassed a collection of White Pine timbers from various barns he has de-constructed. These beams are easily 100 year old, old growth from eastern Canada. Hand hewn 10x10, 7x7 up to 30 feet long.

My questions are;

1. Can these be milled into planks? (taking nails and defects into account)

2. If so, should I leave them as they are to transport them to the wet west coast (I'm thnking leave them to accllimate out here)?

3. And when I do have them milled,what dimenssion would have the best reults in stability.

Thanks in advance

Stampy

My thoughts:

1. Yes,,,,,,YES

2. Bring them as is, maybe cut to shorter lengths for ease of transport. Rarely will you ever need a 30' credenza.

3. Don't mill them until you have a purpose for them. As soon as you mill them, you'll come up with a project that needs a different size than what you milled. Allow them to acclimate after you've decided how to use them and mill them for that purpose.

Tim

You lucky dog, these will be amazing to work with. Nice tight old growth white pine is a thing of beauty. I second the notion to leave them as timbers until you are ready for them. When we buy and sell timbers whether in White Pine, Doug Fir, or even Western Redcedar we will buy in almost log format (usually just squared off, maybe quartered) and bring them into the yard for further milling. If you cut them down they will be more likely to shift around with more freshly exposed surfaces. With such old stuff it is pretty well seasoned as is and won't move around too much until sawing. If you get it in final destination and let sit for a bit you will risk much less.

Good luck