Garage to Shop in lets say 30 days

harryangel69

Well it has been awhile since I have done anything. My father-in-law passed away a few weeks ago and everything has been kind of a mess. I shop looks about like it did in the first post. Crap everywhere and little hope of a real floor underneath. Amazing how that works. This time it is not my crap. My father-in-law was a pack rat. Just kind of skimmed the top and the rest was either donated of trashed. But that "top" is on the floor in the shop. Go figure.

So I decided what I needed was a reboot. Yesterday I drove three hours to see a man about some tools. Picked up a Jet dust collector with all the goodies for 250(looks to be a 2005 model) and an eight inch Grizzly jointer for 250(1990ish). Also about two dozen clamps for 150.

The dust collector is like new. I mean the powder coat is still on the impeller unscratched. Came with a bunch of hose, fittings, gates, and a first stage that is kind of sketchy. The jointer is not a parallelagram, but for that price who wouldn't buy it. Has the original blades, and could use a link belt, but other than that she runs good. I think that saved me about a grand over new. He has some more a shaper and other stuff he said he would call me when he is ready to sell. I would like to talk him out of that Norm edition unisaw he is using as an assembly table, but it doesn't look good.

Guess I need to get to cleaning, and/or go get some more wall boards.

Overdue update Day whatever anybody really counting anyway.

I like to start by reiterating that I hate brown recluse and they can all die and go to hell.

I am not going to pretend like I put in a full day. I did not sleep very much last week, so today I slept until about ten. I have not done that in years. Then took my wife out for lunch and drug her to a local surplus building supply store. I picked up some stuff and came home. That put me at about one. Then I farted around until twoish and then went to work. Spent more time moving and cleaning than anything. I probably put in about 4 to 5 total hours.

post-3648-0-16105800-1298776603_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-45673500-1298776561_thumb.jp

I found these panels at a local store. They look like paneling, but they are more like test prints for laminate flooring. Half inch thick and 61" X 96" with a high gloss finish. Oh, and twelve dollars a piece. There is a line that runs down the middle about the size of a saw blade, and about half inch on either side need trimmed. Then I have panels about 30" x 96". That, of course does not match standard construction. Then how to hang them you say. I don't know I answer. I am leaning towards ripping in half and hanging them on at a 45 degree angle. I am open to suggestions, but if you have a better idea say it fast because tomorrow I think is the day.

post-3648-0-17392700-1298777891_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-46712700-1298777909_thumb.jp

Nice!! At $12/panel, that would've been my flooring!! As it is, I used 1/8" luan (sp) as my finish floor. It is only screwed down to the subfloor, so I can easily replace a panel if it wears out or I change the DC or electrical configuration.

Well I got the walls pretty much done. Cut some corners to save time, but nobody knows that but me.

Then I got to thinking I could build something if I had my planer. So off to storage. All the way in the back on the bottom I find a rusty planer. Not what I expected to find. Just a note don't leave your planer sitting on a concrete floor for 5 years. If you don't take it out and use it well you know.

Right now it looks like sixty dollars worth of parts or a new planer.