Garage to Shop in lets say 30 days

harryangel69

If I don't do it I won't ever start. If I start I will feel obligated to finish.

So day 1 (and push pause because day 2 will be a bit boat has to go first) sorry about the cell phone pics

Winter clutter needs to be cleaned up, but mostly it has a place. Everything has to go and most of it has a home. The 60 gallon compressor (buried in the front left corner) is still for sale, and of course the boat. The boat is my baby, but if she is going to sit outside I would rather she go to a good home. I am going to insulate and cover the walls. I really only need to do two walls and the back wall is a half wall. The quick fix shelving on the right is 2x12 yellow pine, and I think it will make a great first roubo bench. I am picturing cabinets in the right wall and half way down the back wall. I need everything to remain mobile. So I think I can build a couple of benches to slide up underneath the rear cabinets and a heavy bench for banging around. Things you can't see are my hitachi miter,dewalt planer, and there is a harbor freight lathe around here somewhere.

Any advice or feedback is welcome. I am sure there will be a version 2 before the year is over.

Still need to make final tool decisions, that is a post for another forum.

post-3648-0-39083200-1297187897_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-23890500-1297187943_thumb.jp

yeah thats what I was thinking after seeing the pictures 30 days must not get much free time?

Some of the shop before and after pics I have seen on various woodworking forums yours is a dream compared to all the nightmares I have seen :lol:

looks like its going to be a nice size shop tho and already have some shelves and stuff shouldn't be to hard to get it to where you want it to be be cool to see some "after" pictures to when you get done!

good luck man!

Before you go covering up the wall cavities..air seal the hell out of it. Polymerized caulk and expanding foam (low expansion around the windows) will do everything you need. Then do a very good job of fitting the insulation (I'm assuming you'll use batts). Don't compress them, but make sure they are touching all surfaces. I know it's a PITA when hanging the sheetrock, but be sure to fold the running tab over the 2x4's. The batts are designed to be installed that way. If you tuck them they won't fit properly. Apply caulk on ALL the electrical knockouts of the electrical boxes. You have one shot to be anal and get it right. Take your time.

I was thinking 30 days seemed a little short.

I guess it all depends on how you define "done".

Insulation/sheet rock/mudding and taping/painting/hanging the french cleat all the way around that's at least a week for me.

I could easily kill a week planning and running electricl circuits and lighting.

Designing/laying out/piping in and installing the dust collection could easily kill another week.

Figuring out/desiging/building all the shop furniture... well I may never get that completely done.

Take your time, do it right, once you start building projects it becomes increasingly difficult to find the time to go back and make shop up-grades... at least that's been my experience.

Even when you're done, you're never really done.

Good luck and have fun.

I don't think I am going to sheetrock. I hung and finished rock for a year and it has instilled an utter hatred for the stuff. I am going to find a wood product. Maybe OSB because its cheap, but I have been known to surprise even myself.

The wiring is done better that right. It has ceiling outlets for lights on one circuit. The wall outlets are on another. The 220v for the compressor I ran just for that purpose. I just need to reroute that for the bandsaw and possible expansion. I will probably drop some 12/2 for future expansion, or if I start popping breakers left and right. There is a 50amp service that runs to the hottub I installed, but it is for sale. I can convert that to a subpanel if needed.

I am going to take out the hanging lights and replace them with some eight foot high output fixtures.

If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. That's why we all are here right.

Chad,

Where do you live?

Can't run 12/2 here for 220.

Gotta be 10/3. It is rediculously expensive.

Or is the 12/2 for 120 volt? Because that's cool here, on 20 Amp circuits. You can actually use 14/2 for 15 amp circuits.

Sounds like you know all this already, but for some reason I always find code differences from place to place to be interesting.

Where my in-laws live you can run 220 appliances on 2 wire, but if its a heater or furnace has to be 3 wire. They can also put 3 layers of shingles on their roof, which to me is just bizzare-o.

No man, the 12/2 is for 110v backup. I have a couple of friends and family that want to build some stuff. If we are working at the same time might have a problem. Just going to run the wire so I don't have to pull a new wire later. May never even use it. There is 10/3 run to the compressor, and there is some extra lying around that garage somewhere. I sell electrical at the moment and you think wire is high now wait til July or August.

Two layer shingle is all they will let you so here as well. But I have done a six layer tear off. That was sketchy. I almost turned the job down because of that, but it was one of those feel sorry for the old lady jobs.

Day eight

cleaned a little today.

post-3648-0-06149300-1297995138_thumb.jppost-3648-0-89736200-1297995107_thumb.jp

Mostly just moved stuff around. Cleaned the floor. The boat is in the driveway behind me. Strategically planted so my wife can't park in the garage. She seems to have an delusion as to what that space is for.

Also I hate brown recluse. hate hate hate Killed a lot today. They can all die and go to hell.

Chad,

I echo...It's an ongoing process of setting up, arranging and rearranging your shop. It's like a nest so make it fun! Two things that could help - grizzly.com - go to the workshop planner at

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

It's a neat way to tweak the layout before committing to where things go. Plan for tools that you currently have, and for what you hope to buy in the near future. Also, I went to the woodwhisperer site and viewed all the shops that everyone had submitted. Most are similar but look at each person's shop to get ideas on tool placement, cabinets, drawers, etc. Plan now for more electrical than you currently need especially if you're putting OSB on the walls. Chet talked about 14/2 and you could probably run it in places...Having a BASIC knowledge of electricity and brother, I mean only basic, :blink: I just go and buy a 250' roll of 12/2 and run most everything in 12/2. For some things, it's overkill but here in coastal SC - Georgetown County - code says 12/2 or 12/3 for a lot of applications. I have a Lincoln 185 welder and the instruction book said run a 14/3 wire!! I was skeered so ran a 12/3 wire and just made sure the breaker was right. I was just in Home Depot and they had cut a piece of 12/4 SJO wire 65' long and the customer changed his mind. They had it rolled up sitting to the side - "50 bucks" said the orange apron...I quickly put it in my buggy and left before he changed his mind. Welder wire. Probably good to definitely go 12 gauge with 65 feet anyway; but I like to overkill the wire a bit just for voltage loss (especially where distance is a consideration) and just be sure I have the correct breaker on it. I've just burned up a few tools on 16/2 extension cords so I beef up the wire a bit. Well, the insurance business calls...see you guys soon.

Tim

Chad

I have setup and moved my shop three times in three years, the one bit of advice that I can give is not to worry too much about the placement of the electrical. I like to run mine in exposed steel conduit that way I can move or add to it easier. Plans change and equipment gets shuffled so it is nice to have some options, without having to dig into the wall. Plus I think it looks cool.

CharlieDog,

What you say is true, but remember that if you didn't design for the proper number of Amps on any given line in the beginning you will still have to go and fatten up your wires and/or ciruit breakers. (Pain in the rear.) I think setting it up the best you can ahead of time makes sense. Then you can aways add external gang boxes and conduit when you want to move or expand. You make a good point, but I still like to plan my shop out ahead of time to get as close as possible.

Arrange your shop many times in your head, on paper, and on Grizzly before putting the OSB on the wall and covering things up. Now, if you want everything hidden behind walls but 10 screws will take a piece of OSB down, then things can be added to or rearranged easily, so go for it. CharlieDog does make a good point. Wires in conduit...loose a few straps and anything can be changed. That's versatile but man, know this, it's an evolving nest and if you're anything like me...don't over-engineer it. Pull a CharlieDog and go make some dust! One thing is guaranteed...as you use it, you'll modify and make it fit you.

Guess I should make another uneventful update.

Day what, like 14ish or something.

Day off, not warm but not cold. Wife sick. Bad couple of days at work. Called a friend, went fishing for a few hours and wasted some gas. Had time, just did not want to get into a full day of work.

Looks the same with the exception that the boat is sitting back in the middle of the space to avoid the rain. Sold a few small things.

I will make some progress this weekend.

maybe.

Overdue update Day whatever anybody really counting anyway.

I like to start by reiterating that I hate brown recluse and they can all die and go to hell.

I am not going to pretend like I put in a full day. I did not sleep very much last week, so today I slept until about ten. I have not done that in years. Then took my wife out for lunch and drug her to a local surplus building supply store. I picked up some stuff and came home. That put me at about one. Then I farted around until twoish and then went to work. Spent more time moving and cleaning than anything. I probably put in about 4 to 5 total hours.

post-3648-0-16105800-1298776603_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-45673500-1298776561_thumb.jp

I found these panels at a local store. They look like paneling, but they are more like test prints for laminate flooring. Half inch thick and 61" X 96" with a high gloss finish. Oh, and twelve dollars a piece. There is a line that runs down the middle about the size of a saw blade, and about half inch on either side need trimmed. Then I have panels about 30" x 96". That, of course does not match standard construction. Then how to hang them you say. I don't know I answer. I am leaning towards ripping in half and hanging them on at a 45 degree angle. I am open to suggestions, but if you have a better idea say it fast because tomorrow I think is the day.

post-3648-0-17392700-1298777891_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-46712700-1298777909_thumb.jp

Overdue update Day whatever anybody really counting anyway.

I like to start by reiterating that I hate brown recluse and they can all die and go to hell.

I am not going to pretend like I put in a full day. I did not sleep very much last week, so today I slept until about ten. I have not done that in years. Then took my wife out for lunch and drug her to a local surplus building supply store. I picked up some stuff and came home. That put me at about one. Then I farted around until twoish and then went to work. Spent more time moving and cleaning than anything. I probably put in about 4 to 5 total hours.

post-3648-0-16105800-1298776603_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-45673500-1298776561_thumb.jp

I found these panels at a local store. They look like paneling, but they are more like test prints for laminate flooring. Half inch thick and 61" X 96" with a high gloss finish. Oh, and twelve dollars a piece. There is a line that runs down the middle about the size of a saw blade, and about half inch on either side need trimmed. Then I have panels about 30" x 96". That, of course does not match standard construction. Then how to hang them you say. I don't know I answer. I am leaning towards ripping in half and hanging them on at a 45 degree angle. I am open to suggestions, but if you have a better idea say it fast because tomorrow I think is the day.

post-3648-0-17392700-1298777891_thumb.jp

post-3648-0-46712700-1298777909_thumb.jp

I say make those panels work surfaces. They will be tough as nails and easy to clean glue and spills off of. I am thinking that they are hard and slick on both sides?

Nice work today. Don't lose focus. You are almost there.

Assembly table work surface, now I did not think of that. I had thought about maybe doing some cabinet skins for the shop with them. They had several different colors and styles. You are right slick on both sides and about 70 to 75 pounds a piece.

After sleeping on it I decided to nix to angle, diamond shape idea. Just for time sake. I will just cut them in half and do like a brickwork tile kind of style.

Might even call some help today.