Spotting or blotching on maple veneer ply

woodgundy

I made a facade for cabinets in a WIC to finish them out properly or that was what I was hoping, used just veneer ply plus  mortise/tenon for the butt joints (festool). Got some spotting and blotching (saw the specific video on the subject from Mr. Wood Whisperer, as I follow a lot of his videos). But that was prior to staining we did 2 coats already and trying to find a solution (dont want to sand and restain spots as the veneer is real thin and we already gave it a fine grit sand with tack cloth removal of saw dust prior to staining). Not sure if the spotting is from the wood filler or the original glue+sawdust we used on the nail holes, we took out the glue and saw dust as it didn't absorb the stain and went with a better maple putty, worked way better. Any ideas what could be done. I assume it didn't absorb as much stain but am not an expert. Plz check pics thx

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

Edited by woodgundy
spelling/grammar

You could spray a coat of dewaxed shellac then spray stain (not Minwax) carefully like airbrush techniques to blend the colors around those spots. I’m talking about a spray on leave on type stain ( no wiping). I dilute the stain and apply thin coats. Each coat gradually approaches the desired color/darkness. But that approach would be a nightmare on a jobsite.

After closer inspection i see that these blotches are all around sunken nail heads which we covered original with glue and sawdust, and after closer inspection of the glue it was not the regular glue that I get and is titebond 3 which states on the bottle paintable and no where is it written stainable, what a blunder! But I mite add Ive had horrible results with stainable glues swell there is only one that really works and now I can't find my old bottle. Any ideas on a fix? I see only 2 fixes, sand out the glue and probably damage the veneer layer then add maple putty or paint the whole thing opaque. I have had luck removing few day old adhesive with different solvents from acetone/denatured alcohol, petroleum ether and even chloroform .

• 4 weeks later...

Update: used varathane premium wood conditioner on top of the whole facade which was already stained took care of it for the most part not 100% but pretty well, few spots still was blotchy will try applying a lil more. I was able to rub a lot of the stain on some spots off practically down to the bare maple veneer, don't no how that was possible maybe the glue resin only absorbed  a lite layer. thx all