What's your favorite shop accessory?

JimB1

I was doing some cleaning and found some things I purchased that ended up just having limited (or no) use and was shuffling them around to be able to get at things I use all the time more easily and it got me thinking. What was I thinking when I got some of this stuff and what things have I bought that were just unbelievably useful.

I think my top two accessories that I use all the time are my Featherbow and painting pyramids.

The bottom ones are probably extra empty glue containers that have been sitting around for a few years or possibly one of those wobble type dado blades that I don't think I ever used but bought on clearance for $4.

What are your favorite or smartest buys in accessories? or if you like, what were your worst purchases?

-Jim

My all time favorite shop accessory has got to be the GRR-Ripper. I use it all the time and like it so well I've just bought a second one. It's a great safety feature while using the table saw. My worst accessory - if you can call it an accessory - is my panel saw. I bought a Milwaukee panel saw from Grizzly three years ago and have used it maybe 5 times. I now lean wood against it. It needs a new home.

I love my painter's pyramids! I got them for sitting through a very bad seminar at a woodworking show a few years ago. I remember my dad saying that they were crap and he just used a piece of wood with a nail or golf tee through them. When I was in his shop at Christmas - I saw a stack of them on his finishing table!

I use my Veritas/Lee Valley large saddle square all the time - 05n5610s2b.jpgIt has it's one pocket in the apron. Useful for shop stuff as well as laying out framing. I also like the small 4" double square.

As long as i'm on measuring stuff - I also really like my Wixey caliper that reads fractional and decimal.

Kreg Klamp - have 3 plates mortised into my bench so I can move them around and use them where needed

Small shop stuff I hate -

GluBot (it needs a one-way air valve to let air back into the bottle.)

Chip Brushes from HF - they look like such a good deal but loose bristles and ruin whatever I am doing. I try to use them for disposable shellac/sealcoat application.

Bad Dog bits - got suckered into these at the woodworking show 5+ years ago. They don't drill - they grind a hole in the material.

I have several things like that

On the good list:

• 6" Starrett Combination Square that I have used on every project since I have bought it.
  • An 18" Woodpecker Speed Square - It's huge but great for squaring the fence on my MFT and Festool Rails or laying things out.
  • A Lee Valley Apron Plane - This little guy is so very handy and I reach of it all of the time.

On the bad list:

• Festool Angle Unit - It is worthless the angles are incorrect and it is difficult to use.
    • Swanson Sliding Bevel Gauge - No matter how much you tighten it the angle wont hold.

It kills productivity, but the computer monitor is wall-mounted over the bench with Apple keyboard and trackpad (wireless!). Nice setup. Sometimes too nice.

The "bad": while it works very well once you set it up (read: relearn it), I never use the Leigh D4R. Once I redo my kitchen, I'll sell it... and I might talk myself into 28 hand-cut drawers.

I have a few things I really love having in my shop.

- Does the heater count as an accessory. I love mine.

- I also have an 18" Woodpecker Speed Square.

- I have this Rockler jig for concealed hinges. I'm not sure how I got by without it.

- I have a push block that another woodworking friend made for me as a joke after I cut off a small chunk of my right middle finger in a jointer incident. Anyway it has a beautiful black walnut handle, a consumable soft maple stock, and a consumable hardboard catch. I use it for about everything. It is really nice, especially considering I think he made if for me so he could poke fun at me.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like is I have an old set of 1/4" router bits. I never use them because I've got 1/2" shank bits to replace just about all of them. But for some reason I keep them around.