Opinions Please...

WizardJ

Could you all take a look at these three air compressors and help me decide which I should go with? I'm fairly new to woodworking and want to get something that is good enough for me now and down the road. I will have only my nailer right away but in time would like to use a finish sprayer. My sander is electric.

1st

2nd

3rd

whats the difference in the first two that makes for a $20 price difference?

Also, incase I don't go with any of the listed ones,what HP and gallon size should I be shopping for based on the uses I have mentioned?

Thanks alot

Jason

A nail gun doesn't take much. Any of those will handle it.

For spraying, that's different and depends on your gun. Mine is an LVLP (HVLP that takes even less SCFM from the compressor) and even so, it wouldn't work for topcoats on any of those three. Dyes, sure, water-based topcoat, no. My LVLP needs 7.5 SCFM @ 40psi minimum. For that, I got their 2hp 20 gallon compressor. Again, it barely makes the grade for it at least without running the compressor too much. You'd have to look at spray guns when you get there.

So, that said, consider a small compressor for your nailers. It isn't on the site, but once I saw some small thin narrow compressors intended to be put under a bench on a shelf next to other stuff. It ran very quietly. That could be good for a nailer even if you pop it out of the bench to take in the house (thinking crown or base molding). It wasn't very expensive either. Then, when you decide to go for a sprayer, you can size the compressor to the gun you choose.

It's my experience that most air compressors rating are off. Meaning manufacturers bloat what they really can do in the shop without running constantly. Paul is correct in that nail guns are more or less a non-factor. Anything with any decent size will run them. However, if you step up to just about any air tool that spins, or sprays, they really, really start to drain a tank FAST. Don't wanna see you try to save 50.00 bucks and end up having to buy two compressors.

The compressors could run the pressure for the guns, but you'll be missing the volume, so, reality check, you could be spraying with a nice atomized pattern that you dialed in, 8 seconds later, it dies down and spits all over your workpiece. compressors are shop work dogs, but they will strain and blow out. I have a PC 6 gal pancake and when you run a flooring stapler on it it will cycle all day, shortening the life well past its due date. When you go down the finishing route with a spray system, you could use a compressor, you might wanna look into a pressure pot, or a turbine system, or airless. I used to spray cars so I get the joy of using the super expensive spray booth for my paint projects. If you look at my gallery youll see the headboard pics were taken in a huge down draft spray booth.