Finally got a project where a customer wants quality

Bobby Slack

Hellow Brothers and sisters in sawdust and shavings! I got a commission to build 20 little award boxes. Building the boxes are not the problem, the issue was to get the right hinges and mammmmma mia! Brusso hinges are really pricey but I do not want to be known for crap. Is best to make a little less and deliver top quality. I am glad to get this gig because much needed dough to this struggling Gaucho!

Congrats on the commission, Bobby!! I built a box for my button box for my MIL and used too cheap of hinges. I plan on buying new Brusso hinges and taking them with me the next time I go to Germany. I really hate having crap out there..the box was nice other that those.

post-8-0-01579300-1297483366_thumb.jpg

Nice Box Vic. My box will not have as much character as yours. I was given a little freedom to improve what they did ... let's see what I come up with. Last night I got up at 3 AM thinking of what to do. This is my problem, when I am on a creative streak I can't stop until the concept is somewhat coherent. This can be hard on the body.

Buenas Nachos

Congrats on the commission, Bobby!! I built a box for my button box for my MIL and used too cheap of hinges. I plan on buying new Brusso hinges and taking them with me the next time I go to Germany. I really hate having crap out there..the box was nice other that those.

This really is a great question and I will give my straight forward opinion.

1. Since you are now accepting money for the products you make--- you are in business. Congrats!

2. Businesses are in business to make money--profit.

3. As a respectable business you are obligated to provide the market--your customers with products they deem valuable, not what you deem valuable.

4. Only you know how your customer will accept Brusso hinges vs. a commodity hinge.

My opinion is that the Brusso hinge is over kill. I dont believe that the market fully appreciates the quality of a Brusso hinge on an award box. If this was a one-of-kind custom jewelry box, I would sing a different tune. But a run of 20 award boxes does not warrant the Brusso hinge IMHO. Keep the profit and i think your customer will still be happy. But remember that I am arm chair quarterbacking here. Only you know what your customers are willing to accept.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to contradict, but in my opinion you should absolutely go the extra mile and use Brusso hinges, and I'll explain why. I'm guessing that if these are award boxes, then they are going to be distributed out to many different people, and likely be displayed in a prominent place in their homes. This is not only a good commission, it's a fantastic MARKETING vehicle. Your customer is even doing your work for you! With any luck, the people that receive these boxes will notice and appreciate the craftsmanship, which many lead to more work. Make sure you put your maker's mark somewhere on the pieces (likely on the bottom) so the recipients and even their house guests can easily track you down. Think about how many eye balls will likely spot this piece, and then consider the modest differential in price for quality materials. I've never build a piece, and then later wished I'd saved some money on hardware.

Well, I went ahead and went with the Brusso hinges plus a couple of other ones that I had to modify. Is difficult to explain but I had a standard box with a lid (brusso hinge) plus a middle member made of wood (it looks like a page of a book) which is also hinged. I ended up buying some hinges from Rockler and then took them to my grinder to make the opening angle beyond 90 degrees.

I am with Bois, everything I do, I go all out. The work I leave behind is my business card and this job will give me the money to buy an 8" helical head jointer, whether is a grizzly brand new or a General.

This new capacity will allow me to do even better work as a "manufacturer". I came up with an idea for a product that is cool and affordable and can bring me some cash flow.

Having cash flow will give me freedom to make more artistic pieces.

I am going to bed. Thank you all for encouragement and advise which is always well received.

I need all the help I can.

Right now ... I moved from an alder dude to a walnut dude.

Buenas Nachos everybody!