Did I do something stupid?

Hanrahan

I am just getting started in woodworking, and have spent more time collecting tools than using them so far. So as a way to stick my toe in the water, as it were, I recently made a cutting board out of alternating strips of walnut and hard maple.

Was using walnut on a cutting board a stupid?

Do I have to worry about someone having an allergic reaction?

Thanks for any advice.

I am just getting started in woodworking, and have spent more time collecting tools than using them so far. So as a way to stick my toe in the water, as it were, I recently made a cutting board out of alternating strips of walnut and hard maple.

Was using walnut on a cutting board a stupid?

Do I have to worry about someone having an allergic reaction?

Thanks for any advice.

Congrats on your first project. I consider myself more of a tool collector than a woodworker too :). As far as the walnut and food toxicity most things I've read seem to say it's ok. Some people are "allergic" to walnut dust (like skin irritation etc.) but I'm sure you're talking more about the eat a nut and my throat closes up etc. Those reactions are due o the fruit and the unrefined oils. Hopefully somebody who knows more chimes in but for the most part you should be ok. You shouldn't have chunks of wood flying off the cutting board either.

If you dig around the video put out by Marc on the woodwhisperer site there's some good comments that speak to wood allergies too.