The Perfect Guitar Finish

ananthem2

]Hello,

I have set out to build my own guitar and I want the finish to be perfect. As a result, I was hoping I could find an answer on this forum. The body wood on my guitar is a rich mahogany, and I plan to stain the wood a very dark red. I want to stay away from both bright colors and the plastic look you see on many guitars. So my question is this: What product will still protect the guitar while avoiding that thick plastic finish?

I hope I'm not repeating a similar question, but I didn't see any.

Thanks for the help!post-3829-0-27571500-1297622649_thumb.pn

]Hello,

I have set out to build my own guitar and I want the finish to be perfect. As a result, I was hoping I could find an answer on this forum. The body wood on my guitar is a rich mahogany, and I plan to stain the wood a very dark red. I want to stay away from both bright colors and the plastic look you see on many guitars. So my question is this: What product will still protect the guitar while avoiding that thick plastic finish?

I hope I'm not repeating a similar question, but I didn't see any.

Thanks for the help!post-3829-0-27571500-1297622649_thumb.pn

Standard in the industry is nitrocellulose lacquer. BUT, if you don't have spray equipment, and/or want to avoid breathing extremely noxious fumes, there are some other routes to take.

There is a water based lacquer available from luthier supply houses (LMI and Stewmac). This is available in a brushing version.

My favorite, that I use on my own guitars is regular old wipe-on Poly. By applying very thin coats, sanding with 400 grit sandpaper between coats, you can control very easily how natural a feel you get, while still providing the best protection. Also, by only using very thin coats, you keep the tone of the wood alive. (And by very thin, I mean applying the wipe-on poly and wiping much of it off, leaving just a very thin coat.) After you have enough coats on (5-7), you can apply, after a few days, a thin coat of wax to the top.

This is what I did on this solid body:

http://acornhouseworkshop.com/gallery-pages/wood-for-music/electric-guitar/

Nitro is the standard for well built guitars, cheaper ones will have poly on them which contributes to the "plastic" look, and, in some opinions, affects the tone. I did mine with a french polish because I had never done french polishing before, and, it is a traditional instrument finish (more for on pianos though). The pics don't do it justice but they are here:

http://woodtalkonline.com/gallery/album/128/221-guitar-build/

good luck with your build!

Nitro is the standard for well built guitars, cheaper ones will have poly on them which contributes to the "plastic" look, and, in some opinions, affects the tone. I did mine with a french polish because I had never done french polishing before, and, it is a traditional instrument finish (more for on pianos though). The pics don't do it justice but they are here:

http://woodtalkonline.com/gallery/album/128/221-guitar-build/

good luck with your build!

I disagree with poly being only on cheaper "plastic" guitars. If used with a heavy hand and left on as a thick coat, then yes. But, if only thin coats are used, with sanding in between, then they offer a natural wood feel with greater protection. Again, thin is the key.

One overview of guitar finishes can be found at:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/FinishOverview.htm

Stewmac I believe is a private label. As I recall, its Target Coatings product line. Targets production water-based lacquer or 6000, I think its called, will amber like nitro lacquer. General Finishes has a product called Enduro -Var, its water-based and has an amber tone to it.

Me I would prefer to have a good build up of finish that's repairable. Instruments take a fair amount of abuse. Don't most musicians love the high gloss finishes. So something on nice and thick that can be buffed to a high gloss?????:unsure: Really a personal choice.

-Ace-

Im a musician, and I have to say that a majority of us dont know what we're looking at. Since the word "nitro" is thrown around the industry so much, people swear by it but dont understand what it is. I know its the "industry standard" as people will put it, but then you have PRS claiming that their V12 finish is the best. Its claimed to be a hybrid between an acrylic and a nitro, giving the instrument its maximun resonance and beauty. At the end of the day who gives a crap, they have so much digital stuff to shape your tone nowadays, the legendary sound of a les paul through an all-tube marshall full stack is almost unheard of, everybodys buying line-6

A couple of things. Some of the plasticy guitars are finished with Polyester. Yuck.

The general consensus is the thinner the finish the better for tone.

Quite a few boutique guitar makers are going towards the oil/polyurethane blend. Aka Sam Maloof finish.

1/3 Pure tung oil

1/3 Boiled linseed oil

1/3 poly

You can play around with the ratios if you like.

I really like this finish alot.

Oh and don't pore fill. But this is my personal opinion, I like to see The Wood in all of it's beautiful imperfection.

Standard in the industry is nitrocellulose lacquer. BUT, if you don't have spray equipment, and/or want to avoid breathing extremely noxious fumes, there are some other routes to take.

There is a water based lacquer available from luthier supply houses (LMI and Stewmac). This is available in a brushing version.

My favorite, that I use on my own guitars is regular old wipe-on Poly. By applying very thin coats, sanding with 400 grit sandpaper between coats, you can control very easily how natural a feel you get, while still providing the best protection. Also, by only using very thin coats, you keep the tone of the wood alive. (And by very thin, I mean applying the wipe-on poly and wiping much of it off, leaving just a very thin coat.) After you have enough coats on (5-7), you can apply, after a few days, a thin coat of wax to the top.

This is what I did on this solid body:

http://acornhouseworkshop.com/gallery-pages/wood-for-music/electric-guitar/

Thanks for the post! I love the look of your guitar and I can see that wipe on poly can work very well. Minwax has a wipe on poly. Would that be a good choice or are there higher quality products I should look for?

Thanks for the post! I love the look of your guitar and I can see that wipe on poly can work very well. Minwax has a wipe on poly. Would that be a good choice or are there higher quality products I should look for?

I prefer Watco's Wipe-on poly. I have used both, but I feel Watco is a higher quality. I don't have any scientific evidence, but I know they do have different formulas, judging by smell alone, if nothing else. ( Watco has an almost pleasant aroma) FWW did a more rigorous test a few years back and choose the Minwax as the best value. As long as you use thin coats, either should be fine.

Keep us posted on your progress.