Grizzly 15'' Planer and No Dust Collection

Green Head

I have on order a Grizzly 15" planer, model G0453P. I have never used a planer and don't have any dust collection in my shop.

My question is, should I attempt to use my shop vac or just roll the planer to the overhead door and blow the chips in the yard?

Are there any other options, short of buying a new dust collection system?

This may be a dumb question, but like I said I've never used a planer. Can you just put a 5 foot piece of hose on the planer and run it down into a trash can? I'm guessing that won't work as it won't have the suction of a vacuum to pull the chips in the hose???

Thanks for the help.

I have on order a Grizzly 15" planer, model G0453P. I have never used a planer and don't have any dust collection in my shop.

My question is, should I attempt to use my shop vac or just roll the planer to the overhead door and blow the chips in the yard?

Are there any other options, short of buying a new dust collection system?

This may be a dumb question, but like I said I've never used a planer. Can you just put a 5 foot piece of hose on the planer and run it down into a trash can? I'm guessing that won't work as it won't have the suction of a vacuum to pull the chips in the hose???

Thanks for the help.

You are definitely going to want a dust collector. A planer produces the most chips of almost any tool, and they are on the large side, not just dust like a table saw produces. A shop vac is pretty good on fine dust/low quantity, so it really won't be able to keep up. I'm guessing the Griz has a 4" port?

The good news is that you can get by with a roll around 650cfm collector. Just be prepared to empty the bag frequently (as soon as the collection bag is 3/4 full, it starts to lose suction. Also, try to keep the hose as short as you can, longer runs also decrease suction on the smaller machines.

Congrats on the new gear!

The only planer I've used didn't have dust collection (DC). But this was back in the '70s, and we were running 4/4 pine down to 1/2" for drawer sides. 12"-14" wide boards, 16' long with very few knots - can't find that anymore. I remember units that included clear 24"+ wide boards, and everything was flat and straight.

You will have a floor full of chips if you just let them fly. I don't know what the dust hood will do for you w/o DC. One problem we had was chips on the lower feed rollers leaving dents on the boards. I needed to clean off the rollers before I ran each batch of lumber. It might have been something with the sugar pine.

Have fun!

Doug