Mantle

KalThatch

Hi guys, im about ready to start building a new mantle with opposing cabinets and i would appreciate some feedback. please see the attached sketchup file. does the mantle look to tall? the ceiling in my living room is really high, but i feel like the mantle might still be a bit too tall. the other thing is the fireplace wall buildout is 3' deep! i made the cabinets 2' deep, but it still looks like the mantle protrudes to far in front of the cabinets. what do you guys think? does it look ok? am i on the right track here?

Thanks for your input.

ps. check out the sofa, im going to build those after the mantle is done. i figure some nice dark walnut with some cream upholstery will be nice. what do you think?

living room fireplace.skp

Just posting an image for those without SketchUp:

post-50-0-86597200-1298362225_thumb.jpg

From that picture, it looks good to me. The fireplace is on a popout so the mantel should still pop out. Are these all a single color? Are the frame and panel doors going to mix wood species? The panel above the fireplace would be a nice place for something like a burl veneer or 4-way bookmatch. What are you doing with the other panels on the fireplace mantel? The others are for cabinet doors, but the mantel won't have that I presume. Unless you store stuff to make S'mores there.

To be honest paul i had been planning on just using poplar and painting it a nice clean gloss white. hadnt even considered doing some nice wood species. the 4-way bookmatch is a good idea. the floor is darkwalnut, the furniture will be dark walnut. should i go with a maple or some other light wood for contrast? or is painting it an ok idea? for this project im not to big on mixing species, i want it to be simple and uniform. i actually hope that the furniture and decor draw most of the attention.

thanks for the reply.

Nothing wrong with painted poplar for the whole thing. Likely still could make a nice feature in that panel above the fireplace. Doesn't have to be a burl or anything wood even. For example, I've seen flat panels that look like broken glass fused together. Makes a nice subtle light pattern. Something like that in the panel would be nice. Or leave it as is (white poplar); just seems like an opportunity there for something. hmmm

Hey Kal,

If it is a working fireplace there are building code consideration for the combustible materials. Depending on the mantle shelf projection it is usually somewhere around a foot to combustible material from the firebox opening, that puts the mantle shelf about 60 in. give or take above the hearth.

Dave