Grizzly 3HP dust collector, hepa filter brush sticks

Mark R99

Have been running the G0441 dust collector for about 3 1/2 years and it is working well.  Recently, the brush system for the hepa filter has been getting stuck to the point that I have to pull the filter out and spend a few hours cleaning it.  As a result, we have been religious about sweeping the filter immediately following every use, regardless of how short, as well as making sure to empty the chip collection canister well before it is full.  I am wondering if something else has changed in the system that may be causing the brush system to get stuck.  You can literally hang on the cable (admittedly, I only weigh about 130 pounds) and it will not move.  Any thoughts?

thanks

I don't have that collector and I am leery of systems that use brushes or flappers to physically clean the filters. It doesn't take much wear to render the filter less efficient & allow smaller particles through.

I just remove my filter once or twice a year and use a combination of vacuum cleaner & compressed air to clean it out. It's washable too, but I haven't done that yet.

A couple of times I've neglected to empty the drum when full & the spoil has backed up the cyclone & thoroughly packed the filter. I mean really packed it tight. That was an adventure accompanied by some bad language.

4 hours ago, Mark R99 said:

Have been running the G0441 dust collector for about 3 1/2 years and it is working well.  Recently, the brush system for the hepa filter has been getting stuck to the point that I have to pull the filter out and spend a few hours cleaning it.  As a result, we have been religious about sweeping the filter immediately following every use, regardless of how short, as well as making sure to empty the chip collection canister well before it is full.  I am wondering if something else has changed in the system that may be causing the brush system to get stuck.  You can literally hang on the cable (admittedly, I only weigh about 130 pounds) and it will not move.  Any thoughts?

thanks

My G0440 does this as well.  I think this is caused when enough spoil makes it through to the filter area is collects around the brush at the top "at rest" position.  IMHO the brush is just too darned tight a fit.  If I remember to use it once a week there is no problem but, I do this less often than not ;-(  If I keep my barrel emptied regularly  I only get about a cup of talcum-powder-fine dust in the filter bag a couple times a year.  If I fail . . . well, you know what happens then.