Jointer Motor Help

rainjer

I picked up my jointer yesterday. Currently the motor is mounted behind the jointer above the base. With it mounted in this location it stick out about 6" behind the stand. I was hoping to relocate it to below the jointer. To do this I would need to reverse the motor. The pictures attaces are of the motor plate, a wiring diagram inside a cover plate and the wires inside the cover plate.

Question 1 - Can this motor be reversed?

Question 2 - The ground wire on the power cord was not grounded. how doe I ground this motor? (or do i need to?)

Question 3 - I need to replace the power cord. What size cord should i use?.

Jeremy

IMG_20191110_121414394.jpg

IMG_20191110_114700761.jpg

IMG_20191110_120357856.jpg

A3:  I suggest using a 12AWG stranded wire cord (type SOOW). That's overkill, especially of you wire it for 240 volts, but there will be no question about power loss through the cord.

A2: Attach the ground wire to a case screw or terminal box lid screw, if a designated ground point isn't provided. Scrape away any paint or coating for optimal contact.

A1: May require minor surgery inside the motor. Matthias Wandel has a good write-up about reversing single phase induction motors here: https://woodgears.ca/motors/reversing.html