Advice for a new Miter Saw

Spangler1992

Hello, I am new to woodwokring and I am looking and thinking that building custom birdhouses and doll houses are going to be something I want to give a try. I see the many different compound miter saws on the market and am torn as I am not experienced in the woodworking hobby. What is a good start compound miter saw that I will not have to replace for a long time yet do everything I will eventually need to do?

The Bosch GCM 12 SD 12 inch Double Bevel Miter Saw is on my wish list. The saw requires less floor space than a typical sliding miter saw. It bevels both ways. It is a 12" saw with great power and capacity. It is pretty pricey ($748), but it seems like you're willing to invest in a "tool" not some cheap saw from Harbor Freight.

If not, I would go with a DeWalt compound miter saw such as the DW715 or DW716. You can go with the DW717 if you're looking for a sliding compound saw. I have had the DW715 ($264) for the last 15 years with zero problems. It is a tank. The horizontal hand grip and large trigger are very comfortable to operate.

Definitely get a nice 80 tooth blade for the 12" saws if it does not come with one. Whatever you do, I highly recommend against a 10" saw. They compromise too much in my opinion. Reviews in the WOOD magazine agree.

If not, I would go with a DeWalt compound miter saw such as the DW715 or DW716. You can go with the DW717 if you're looking for a sliding compound saw. I have had the DW715 ($264) for the last 15 years with zero problems. It is a tank. The horizontal hand grip and large trigger are very comfortable to operate.

Starting to look at reviews of the 715 and I am really liking what I am ready, that is more than likley what I am going to get next week and I appreciate your time in giving me input

I have the Bosch 12" Glide saw. It is awesome in every way. I highly recommend it.

I also had a year 2001 vintage DeWalt 12 SCMS. It was very nice too.

Of today's saw, if not the Bosch glide, the Makita 10" & 12" saws with 4 rails are both very nice too.

I have the Makita 12" slider and it is a really nice saw. Very solid and I got it for about $500. BUT...had I known about the Bosch glide saw that was coming out I probably would have waited and purchased that one. It is a little pricey but the ingenuity and build quality are top notch. I've seen them in the $700+ price range so if you can afford it, that's where I'd spend my money.

I would highly recommend a sliding compound mitersaw. It's nice to have the extra cutting capacity up front when/if you need it. I have the Hitachi C10FS, 10" slider and have owned it for about 11 years. It cuts soooo smooth and has remained very accurate with little maintenance. It has around 12" of front/back cutting capacity and slides very smoothly. I'm even still using the original factory blade with great results! I think I paid $450 way back then from Acme Tool Crib. I just wanted you to know my thoughts. P.S. - I think Lowe's has a Hitachi slider 12" model on clearance for $399. (on any saw you end up getting, watch out your fingers! and be safe!) :)

on any saw you end up getting, watch out your fingers! and be safe!) :)

I agree with CamoFudge. Be very careful especially when cutting the small pieces and angled pieces that the projects the original poster were planning to build. To Spangler...whichever saw you get, consider purchasing the hold-down clamps that come with the saw. Be very careful to support long stock as well. My DW715 has a chunk missing from the back fence where a chunk of walnut my grandfather was cutting was lifted up an projected backward. He said because he was holding the small piece by hand it also sucked his hand into the blade. I believe miter saws can be one of the safest saws in the shop if you use the hold downs and clamps intended for the machine.