Staining

Greg Gewertz

I am fixing stair treads from where a stair chair was bolted to.  I have done the repair and have sanded the plugs smooth.  I am trying to stain and blend to match existing but the areas I sanded will not accept the stain.  I have read some articles stating that I may have sanded to smooth because of sanding the existing finish.  I also read to use mineral spirits also.  the area sanded does feel like glass.  I am assuming that is because of sanding the finish which acted like a polish.  any ideas what to do so it will accept stain.

Thanks

Are you just trying to stain the plugs?   or have you sanded the entire surface (exisiting finish)?  IF you have benn sanding the  existing finish then it sounds like you have not yet removed all of the old finish. ('feels like glass"). I would pick a test area and sand with some 80 grituntil it feels like wood again.   A photo or 2 would help.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ronn W said:

Are you just trying to stain the plugs?   or have you sanded the entire surface (exisiting finish)?  IF you have benn sanding the  existing finish then it sounds like you have not yet removed all of the old finish. ('feels like glass"). I would pick a test area and sand with some 80 grituntil it feels like wood again.   A photo or 2 would help.

I sanded the plugs smooth and it removed the stain around the plugs also.  yes it feels like glass.