Wall Mount Display Case Joint suggestions

MarkFaucett

I am trying to build a wall mounted display case out of 3/4 " Ash. for simplicity assume dimensions are 48" x 24" x 5". Can anyone suggest best corner joints that won,t require brads or nails? I had my heart set on routing 1/2" box joints but the pieces are just too long to keep vertical and 3/4" seems a bit thick for box joints. I have a table saw, band saw, and router table, but no drill press. I would appreciate any suggestions for a clean looking joint with some " ooh and ahh" factor you might have. Thanks!

Obviously you could do handcut dovetails. Or, you could use the bandsaw to cut them. A hand powerdrill will easily let you hog out most of the waste before taking a chisel to the rest (or fretsaw cool.gif).

A less obvious one you could do with what you have are called dovetail splines. Look on this site for the Kehoe jig to see what they are. You can easily make them with a jig that holds the corner of a box up 45 degrees on both sides and a dovetail bit in the router table. You could then cut the spines on the edge of, say, Walnut until they fit perfectly then rip the spline key off the board (big board easier to deal with when routing the key portion). Glue in place then flush trim with a flush saw, which if you don't have is a must-have anyway :)

I think that's the idea I'd go with. Alternatively, with a good drilling guide, you could drill holes across the joint much like these dovetail splines and fill them with a contrasting (if you like) dowel.

Let us know how it comes out!