Walnut table top finish

trn9

Hello!

This is my first post here.

I have a walnut table that I built about 5 years ago. I used Minwax wipe-on polyurethane for my finish. The table has some cracks in it that I left and now is getting dusty. I am thinking of filling the cracks with a resin of some sort. What type of resin do you recommend? I was planning on using tape to create a dam to keep the resin from flowing across the entire table. Once the resin has cured can I simply sand it down to the level of the polyurethane and then re apply the wipe-on polyurethane for the final finish?

Thanks!

post-4014-0-27294500-1298840228_thumb.jp

The epoxy will work. I think you'd want water-clear epoxy so it brings the look of the wood to the surface like a prism. West System has a bunch of hardeners, but you'd need hardener 207. That hardener is designed to be clear not amber. A less expensive alternative would be bar-top coating (just in the cracks).

Maybe a thing you can try (on a scrap piece of walnut as a test) is first, create some cracks on that test piece, second, add walnut sanding dust as a filler to the epoxy and finally, fill the crack with the mix. With the right dosage of walnut sanding dust, this should approach the unfinished color of the walnut.

The walnut sanding dust won't interfere witht the epoxy curing if you mix it to an already thoroughly mixed 207 (Est System) hardener and 105 resin.

To judge if the result is satisfactory, you should apply on the test piece the same finish as the one you intend to use on your table and see if the repair doesn't stand out.

Hope this help.