Rolling Assembly Table

Redbaran

So seeing someone else post their nice assembly table motivated me enough to post a couple pictures of mine. Mine is inspired heavily by Marc's assembly table design, but I've made the following changes/features:

• Much smaller
  • Added wheels, remove the toe kick
  • Made it the same height as my table saw so it's also an outfeed table
  • Used only drawers, I have enough shelf space already (for the time being at least)
    I still need to put some sort of finish on it, but it's functional as the somewhat beat up top indicates. This was my first wood working project of any size, so I made quite a few mistakes:
    1. The center of the case is taller than the sides because the center divider didn't seat all the way in the dados. There are shims on the left and right under the torsion box because the torsion box actually was flat. I'm hoping that keeps it from sagging over time
    2. I made the drawers too wide to fit in the case! I measured the opening, and then subtracted the width of the drawer slides, but I wasn't exact enough when I measured the opening, I must have rounded the size up. To fix this, I ran the side of the drawer over my jointer to remove enough material. In hindsight, this was a dumb move as what I should have done was use my router to remove material just from where the drawer slide needed to go.
    3. I've got two drawers that rub each other, I should have made a bigger gap between the drawers
    4. One of the drawers doesn't close easily, and I think it's because the slides aren't exactly parallel to each other. I have some self centering bits now, but I should have used those or at least drilled pilot holes first. I just let the screw self-tap, but in the process, it would wander some.
    5. The 1/8 hardboard that makes up the top sits maybe a 1/16 to 1/32 proud of the trim boards. I didn't joint the boards first, so I don't think that top edge is straight.
    6. The wheels lock, but you can't get at the lock with your foot. I think I'd use different casters next time.

I really learned a lot doing the project, and while it certainly wasn't perfect, it's definitely functional and I'm glad I built it. Hopefully someone will read my list of screw ups and learn from my mistakes.

As far as what's left to do:

[*]Put some finish/protection on it. Wax the top at least[*]I was to frame some peg board and attach it to the sides and back so I can hang stuff.

Thanks for looking!

post-2970-0-54036100-1298951521_thumb.jp

post-2970-0-56596600-1298951524_thumb.jp

post-2970-0-01782100-1298951528_thumb.jp

Despite the mistakes you mention, this unit is Awesome! It looks like it'll give you lots of great storage space and a durable, yet replaceable, top for years and years of use. I wish my outfeed / assembly table looked half as good as yours. I made mine from scrap 2 x 4's and assembled a frame, put a lower shelf of 3/4" OSB, rolling casters, and the top I used is a solid core door. Overall dimensions about 36"w x 48"l. It works for me right now (and is in fact an upgrade to what I had), but I'd like to make a longer one and use the torsion box technique for a sturdy top like you and Marc did. Seriously, Great Job! and thanks for letting us see it!

Reggie