Building a Drum

I have done a little wood working and am looking at taking the plunge into a big project, Actually 2 but they have some of the same concepts and material needs.

The first is I would like to make a Banjo. The part that I am having a little trouble finding tutorials on is the resonator drum. I would like to make the resonator out of a band of wood. and more importantly I would like to build it out of several thin plies of wood. I am also looking at making a snare drum the same way. The main difference in these two is the structure and thickness of the two. A snare is going to be a little thicker and have a ring on the inside to help with structure and tension.

The question I have is with the material and thoughts on construction. I live in a place that has no great wood supplier I was wondering if there was somewhere online that I could buy thin plies of wood to wrap around a form. or should I just buy a thin plywood and wrap once. The only reason that I would want to use several thin plies is for the use of overlapping joints and the ability to use different combinations of wood for different sounds.

Not sure if any of that made any sense but hope that there is someone who understood it and maybe can help.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking...

Are you talking about steam bending vs bent laminate?

I think that a bent laminate drum would be easier to build. Check out this David Marks vid on how he builds a lamp. http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/bent-laminate-lamp/39714.html

Or you could build a drum like this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137211-Stave-snare-drum-14-x-9-cherry

HTH

Erik