why is my power planer not plaining straight?

Surfer 21

Hi everyone, i recently bought an old Makita 1100 power planer. I have been testing it out and i quickly noticed a problem: it is not planing straight. I realligned the blades twice but with no different results. it is really crooked. After a couple of passes the right side took off almost 3 mm more then the left. Does anybody have the solution or the same problem? 

thanks for the reply’s, i have the fence attachment but it makes no difference. I have not tried the cutter head tilt mechanisme, so that will be my next step. I would really like to see how i can adjust it though, could you send the page where you found the information on adjusting? I searched but could not find it.

On 7/15/2021 at 12:48 AM, Surfer 21 said:

that explains, i might just sell the plainer again. I got it for a good price, then i can buy a decent table top planer. 

If you are trying to do thickness planer operations a lunchbox planer will serve you better.  If you are trying to do edge jointing operations you hand held planer may work but, never as easily as a jointer.  It's one of those right tool for the job things.

To comment on @gee-dub's comment, a handheld power planer CAN be better than a thickness planer or a jointer, when dealing with large, heavy stock. Unless you have really giant machines, it is easy to hit a size point where taking the tool to the work makes more sense than taking to work to the tool. I have attempted stupid moves like this:

Because the work piece was too large / awkward for the machine at hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1