French Cleats in Metal Building

DavidSp

I'm wanting to build a french cleat wall in my 18x20 metal building. The metal structure "studs" are 5 foot apart. I can't span a 1x4 across as a cleat and expect it to support any weight. I'm trying to avoid using plywood on an entire wall due to expense of lumber right now. I'm wondering what options there are based on what others may have done in this situation. I thought of unistrut but that adds up as well. Ideally, I'd like to span something across fastend to the metal framing and use that as a cleat. Could I use a thicker board behind the cleat to strengthen it since I have the space?

Plywood prices have come down quite a bit, at least in my region. I'd give plywood or dimension lumber a second look, they're almost assuredly going to be cheaper than any metal bracket/strut for your needs here.

What are you planning to mount/hang from this? If you're doing french cleats you're going to want a flat surface behind the cleat I assume.

Yes, I do want flat. I'm planning on making tool holders to hang from the cleats so I do need the surface to be flat for anything of any size. I will take another look at dimensional lumber, that's really preferred based on my other ideas anyway. Thanks for the input.