newbie planning to refinish old desk

mmk

Hi, everyone, years ago I picked up a desk top (no legs) at an estate sale that looks like someone made it in their garage vs. made by a professional. It also looks like someone stripped it to the bare wood and may have been in the process of restoring it when they decided to sell it. I got quotes from local furniture repair shops and they all say about $1,000 or more. I'd rather not spend that kind of money so I'm considering doing it myself. A friend recommended Danish Oil. There is also a black stain (not sure what it is, maybe ink or paint) that I'd like to try and remove or at least fade a bit. I have done some reading online and I've found people use Smart 'n Easy Remover Gel, Sunnyside Paint and Varnish Remover, and wood bleach to remove stains. Any advice on both issues (removing an old stain and finishing the wood) appreciated, thanks. [would love to post pic but my png URL isn't being accepted, not sure why, will work on it, feel free to provide advice]

I think you will need to sand or scrape the surface to remove that black stain. Looks like ink to me. If resurfacing the wood isn't feasible for you, perhaps a dark wood stain could disguise whatever is left after cleaning.

I suggest a wipe-on poly instead of Danish oil. It will provide more protection for such a work surface.

Alternatively, a brushed on water borne poly will dry faster and smell less, but not provide the amber warmth of oil.