White Finish For Built Ins

williamchall

Hey all! I need some help. I'm going to be building a built-in entertainment center with bookshelves for my BIL and SIL while we live with them. We're between houses and they're putting me to work! I'm happy to do it. I can practice on their house first! ;)

I'm using cabinet grade birch with poplar face-frames. They want white satin or semi-gloss. I have an Earlex sprayer. What paint do you recommend? I tried the pro-classic at Sherwin Williams on my kitchen cabinets and hated it. It splattered more than I thought it should and didn't appear to be a very durable finish (both of us are starting families). Even with the appropriate thinning and bigger hvlp needle, it didn't go as well as I thought it should. I remember reading about tinted pre-cat laquer and conversion varnish. Any thoughts on those and best places to get them?

Your help as always is much appreciated! I'm open to all suggestions.

Hey all! I need some help. I'm going to be building a built-in entertainment center with bookshelves for my BIL and SIL while we live with them. We're between houses and they're putting me to work! I'm happy to do it. I can practice on their house first! ;)

I'm using cabinet grade birch with poplar face-frames. They want white satin or semi-gloss. I have an Earlex sprayer. What paint do you recommend? I tried the pro-classic at Sherwin Williams on my kitchen cabinets and hated it. It splattered more than I thought it should and didn't appear to be a very durable finish (both of us are starting families). Even with the appropriate thinning and bigger hvlp needle, it didn't go as well as I thought it should. I remember reading about tinted pre-cat laquer and conversion varnish. Any thoughts on those and best places to get them?

Your help as always is much appreciated! I'm open to all suggestions.

When looking for plain white, I ususally turn to Hood's Hydrocoat Resisthane pre-cat water based laquer. It's availebl in clear, white, or black. You can thin it 10% with distilled water, and it sprays great out of my HVLP. Get it right from http://www.hoodfinishing.com/

Hope this helps

When looking for plain white, I ususally turn to Hood's Hydrocoat Resisthane pre-cat water based laquer. It's availebl in clear, white, or black. You can thin it 10% with distilled water, and it sprays great out of my HVLP. Get it right from http://www.hoodfinishing.com/

Hope this helps

Thank you so much! That helps tremendously.