How to replace a thrust bearing?

baok

I have a delta 12" bandsaw. Yes, it's an oddball size. The thrust bearings are frozen and I'd like to replace them but I can't get the ball bearing off the shaft. It's not screwed on, it's a press fit or so the machinist at work tells me. I beat on it with a brass rod trying to force the shaft through the bearing but it won't come off. Anybody have any ideas?

I will return it to our machine shop if I can't come up with anything here. He'll charge me but I can't change them out otherwise.

I have a delta 12" bandsaw. Yes, it's an oddball size. The thrust bearings are frozen and I'd like to replace them but I can't get the ball bearing off the shaft. It's not screwed on, it's a press fit or so the machinist at work tells me. I beat on it with a brass rod trying to force the shaft through the bearing but it won't come off. Anybody have any ideas?

I will return it to our machine shop if I can't come up with anything here. He'll charge me but I can't change them out otherwise.

Can you apply heat to the bearing only? be carefull but if you can it should work. Heat on the bearing iteslf only-preferably.

Here's the thrust bearing wrap-up. I took it to our machine shop where he used an "arbor press" . Apparently this is tailor made for this task. I also borrowed a gear puller from a friend at the same time and when I get the new bearings I may try pulling them off with that to see how hard it is. I suppose I could pull them on too.

Here's the thrust bearing wrap-up. I took it to our machine shop where he used an "arbor press" . Apparently this is tailor made for this task. I also borrowed a gear puller from a friend at the same time and when I get the new bearings I may try pulling them off with that to see how hard it is. I suppose I could pull them on too.

Using a bearing puller to pull a bearing off is very easy. Once you do it once you will never bother with a machine shop for such tasks again. Putting bearings back on is usually done with a press (either an arbor press or an H-Frame press. I bought a bench-top H-Frame press from harbor freight to assist in restores of old woodworking machines and it quickly became one of the most beloved tools in my shop for dealing with machinery.

Good luck with your bearings.