Worried about the bond between epoxy and wood giving in

SlavkoD

Hey everybody,

First time posting here, so I'm sorry if this sounds obvious.

My wife and I decided to put an epoxy table in our dining room, but we want to walk the process of creating it by ourselves. It gives us creative freedom and a personalized end result that would cost somewhat beyond our budget if we were to to be hiring a professional. Now I've been reading about wood selection and preparing the resin and a friend of mine volunteered to provide a PVC molding according to specs. 

What I'm still trying to figure out is how to ensure a strong bond between the epoxy and the wood slabs. Should I use vibration, or apply something to the surface of the wood first, and how will I know whether or not I did a good job after the resin cures?

I've read that epoxy river tables are quite strong and can even hold up to 1700 pounds without any compromise to the integrity of the surface, and when put to an extreme test, the wood slab is more likely to buckle, way before the bond between the materials gives in.

There is even a video on YouTube that shows this although with a lesser but nonetheless concentrated weight drop.

But I wonder whether these guys put some chemical agent that facilitates a better bond, or just pour the epoxy as is?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Slavko