Miller Falls No75B Hand Plane

mountaindew

Just received a Miller Falls No 75B hand plane from my wife's grandmother. Her grandfather was a home builder that started in the late 1950's . He has since passed away. But he has a collection of vintage hand planes and tools. What info can anyone give me about this hand plane. Funny the blade is still pretty sharp. Hopefully and praying someday i will receive more. Ty Jared

Just received a Miller Falls No 75B hand plane from my wife's grandmother. Her grandfather was a home builder that started in the late 1950's . He has since passed away. But he has a collection of vintage hand planes and tools. What info can anyone give me about this hand plane. Funny the blade is still pretty sharp. Hopefully and praying someday i will receive more. Ty Jared

You need to talk to muddlermike or jwatson. They can help you out with that..

• Like 1

Thanks Sac hopefully they chime in. Mr Marc S. do you have any thoughts or info on this plane. Made in the USA

Ok so the light in my head went off. The internet you dummy. So i googled the name and found out that this plane was first made around 1929. But i can't say that the plane i just received was made that year.It said that by 1968 the they stared to use plastic knobs. Now the 1 i just received is made of wood so its older than 1968. Just thought you guys might be interested in the plane i just received. Jared

yeah, pics would help :)

however, there's not much to say more than what you've learned. I'm assuming it's a block plane, right? the 75 was a standard 20 degree bed block plane that didn't have an adjustable throat. Earlier models had a cocobolo front knob, mid age models had a reddish stained hardwood knob, and as you read the later models used plastic. they are a nice looking block plane and their only short coming was the non-adjustable throat. I've come across some nice 75's on ebay that I was real close to buying, if it wasn't for owning too many already.

the letter "B" designation doesn't really have a purpose that anyone has been able to find. So, there's no difference between the 75 and the 75B.

Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me an email if you need more info.

muddler

yeah, pics would help :)

however, there's not much to say more than what you've learned. I'm assuming it's a block plane, right? the 75 was a standard 20 degree bed block plane that didn't have an adjustable throat. Earlier models had a cocobolo front knob, mid age models had a reddish stained hardwood knob, and as you read the later models used plastic. they are a nice looking block plane and their only short coming was the non-adjustable throat. I've come across some nice 75's on ebay that I was real close to buying, if it wasn't for owning too many already.

the letter "B" designation doesn't really have a purpose that anyone has been able to find. So, there's no difference between the 75 and the 75B.

Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me an email if you need more info.

muddler

Thanks for the reply muddlermike yea i know pics would help just don't how to do it yet. If you go the Miller Falls website it looks just like the 75 block plane pictured there. Yea don't understand the "B" stamping. I was just stoked to get it and thought i would share. Ty Jared

cool. They are a beautiful looking block - I always loved the wooden front knob. I wish all blocks were made like that. If you find you're running into problems with the mouth too open and you're not getting as fine a shaving as you're looking for, a Hock replacement iron will be thicker and hold an edge even better that your stock iron. The extra thickness should help to close up the mouth a bit and help it perform better if that's your trouble.

nice score!

yeah what he said :D

cool find with your 75, yeah the b designation is just a small blurb on the site for millers falls tools. they don't clarify what came about that they added it. also millers falls has a completely different numbering schedule for its planes than Stanley has as the default so that was confusing when i first started collecting planes for my shop.