Schooling

PaulDerrico

I've been slowly making the transitions to "going PRO" over the past couple of years, but it's been a little too slow for my patience. So I've been researching various avenues for education in furniture building and design. I recently came back from vacationing in the south of France where I met a couple of compangons. These are guys whose woodworking education involves them taking a tour of France and living/working with a variety of artisans in their craft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnons_du_Tour_de_France). Its kind of like a traveling internship, and when they're done, these guys are the best of the best. My first question: Is there anything like that in the US? I've scoured the web, but haven't found anything substantial.

I've contemplated obtaining a Bachelor's in Furniture design from credible schools, but I'm not sure that this is something a client looks for or cares about (if you plan to own your own furniture business). I'm aware that there's plenty of great schools out there that teach short and long courses on fine woodworking. Before I finalize any decisions though, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what any of you might have to say. Thanks!

Paul,

I'm aware of the apprenticeship programs abroad and, no, we don't have any stateside that I know of.

There are a lot of nice schools and I'll hopefully be taking some classes myself next year or the following year at Port Townsend Woodworking School and maybe Northwest Woodworking Studios.

I would love to study under Seth Rolland.

Hey Paul,

A roving apprenticeship program does not exist yet, here in the US. However, there is room if you wanted to start it yourself. I know plenty of woodworkers (myself included) who accept private students on a limited basis. If you coordinate with them, you could certainly set up a cross country schedule for learning with them. Would make a fascinating blog to follow as well!

As far as a degree is concerned, potential clients care about the end results of pieces rather than any degrees. Pedigree and associations do come in to play, but not a piece of paper hanging on the wall. I went through an intense schooling under a now-defunct program, but came away with the most thorough working knowledge I ever could have hoped for. All without a degree.

Just some thoughts to weigh. If you need help looking for woodworkers and schools, PM me.

Hey Paul,

A roving apprenticeship program does not exist yet, here in the US. However, there is room if you wanted to start it yourself. I know plenty of woodworkers (myself included) who accept private students on a limited basis. If you coordinate with them, you could certainly set up a cross country schedule for learning with them. Would make a fascinating blog to follow as well!

As far as a degree is concerned, potential clients care about the end results of pieces rather than any degrees. Pedigree and associations do come in to play, but not a piece of paper hanging on the wall. I went through an intense schooling under a now-defunct program, but came away with the most thorough working knowledge I ever could have hoped for. All without a degree.

Just some thoughts to weigh. If you need help looking for woodworkers and schools, PM me.

Awesome advice. Thanks for that. I seriously had to stop and think about your suggestion for my own apprenticeship. I'll definitely be thinking about that for the rest of the week. Thanks again!!!

I live in Boston, and the North Bennett Street School turns out a good number of high quality craftsman on an annual basis and it sometimes scares me that these folks are crowding the market in my area. I'm merely a self-taught part-time woodworker. But to Adam's point, at the end of the day I have yet to find a client that knows or cares anything about a pedigree in woodworking, design, or craftsmanship. Perhaps if there were more awareness of the differences between disposable and generational furniture, there would be more of an emphasis on formal training. In fact I think one of the reasons the woodworking community is as tight-knit as it is, is that we are often the only ones that truly understand and appreciate what goes into good design, construction, and finish. Our clients seldom do. It's a bit of a crusade, but I would welcome the day that not having my "Harvard" degree in woodworking was a disadvantage to me. Without giving too much away, I'm involved in an interesting new project designed to help build some of this awareness in the buying market. It's one thing for us to complain about the lack of education, but I think we need to do a better job of getting bringing back some awareness of the merits of real craftsmanship.

I live in Boston, and the North Bennett Street School turns out a good number of high quality craftsman on an annual basis and it sometimes scares me that these folks are crowding the market in my area. I'm merely a self-taught part-time woodworker. But to Adam's point, at the end of the day I have yet to find a client that knows or cares anything about a pedigree in woodworking, design, or craftsmanship. Perhaps if there were more awareness of the differences between disposable and generational furniture, there would be more of an emphasis on formal training. In fact I think one of the reasons the woodworking community is as tight-knit as it is, is that we are often the only ones that truly understand and appreciate what goes into good design, construction, and finish. Our clients seldom do. It's a bit of a crusade, but I would welcome the day that not having my "Harvard" degree in woodworking was a disadvantage to me. Without giving too much away, I'm involved in an interesting new project designed to help build some of this awareness in the buying market. It's one thing for us to complain about the lack of education, but I think we need to do a better job of getting bringing back some awareness of the merits of real craftsmanship.

Thanks bois! I've checked out NBS before. I love the idea of the school, and I'm aware they have a 2-year program for around $35000. No degree upon completion though, they simply just award a diploma. That's why I was curious about whether or not clients care about that type of stuff.

I'm with you on the crusade. I enjoy knowing that I offer a service that is well sought after and very niche, even though clients have their own expectations on what we provide. Your "building awareness" project sounds fantastic. If you ever need any help with that, let me know. Standing outside my local IKEA and protesting isn't really getting anywhere! Not to mention the fact that the antique market will dry up someday if people are no longer building heirloom furniture. Thanks again.

=paul

• 3 weeks later...

I am lucky to live in Southern California where we have lots of options like NG and Cerritos College. I am about to enroll in a hand tool class at Cerritos. I am a hybrid woodworker but the final perfect fit comes from using hand tools.

There has to be a school in Florida close to you. Check out community colleges plus paid schools. Somewhere you will find a good combination of learning skills which will help you in the future.

Thanks bois! I've checked out NBS before. I love the idea of the school, and I'm aware they have a 2-year program for around $35000. No degree upon completion though, they simply just award a diploma. That's why I was curious about whether or not clients care about that type of stuff.

I'm with you on the crusade. I enjoy knowing that I offer a service that is well sought after and very niche, even though clients have their own expectations on what we provide. Your "building awareness" project sounds fantastic. If you ever need any help with that, let me know. Standing outside my local IKEA and protesting isn't really getting anywhere! Not to mention the fact that the antique market will dry up someday if people are no longer building heirloom furniture. Thanks again.

=paul