Racking my Brain Rocks!

ChetlovesMer

Just wanted to commment that I love the lumber Rack in the Racking my Brain Video.

I have something similar, but there are a few "extras" you've got in there that seem like great ideas.

Can't wait to borrow some of those ideas.... Now, if I could only get all of these projects done and spend some time on shop projects... yeah... Well, I hope to sooner or later.

Anyway, You've done it again, Marc. Thanks for the great stuff.

Oh one more thing, I made my wife watch the episode just to see the special thanks part, and she too was very impressed.

I have mine pointing at the main door of my shop as well and that works out great. By the way, is that a nerf hoop I see on your garage door?

One thing that somebody once suggested to me that I never did but seemed like a good idea is to add some slippery laminate to the bottom of the sheet goods portion of the swing out part of the rack. I haven't done that yet, but it always seemed like a good idea.

Again, I think its awesome that you used so many ideas from the forum. When I watched the episode there were like a dozen times I said "Geez, why didn't I think of that?" That's what I love about woodworking in general and this forum specifically. You have what you think is a good idea, stick it out there and a dozen people respond with even better ideas. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Great work. Great forum. Great everything.

• 1 month later...

'Racking my Brain' recently inspired me to build improved storage in my shop. I've got the narrow half of a one car garage (my work space is about 5' by 18') for all my stuff, so I had to modify things a little bit. I built a hinged sheet goods cart like Marc's except the sheets stand on their short end (hopefully not for too long, else warping?!). The garage walls are only 88" high, so I had to build the cart away from the wall about 16" for clearance up to where the rafters are higher. In the 'dead space' behind the cart, I installed shelving brackets for board goods. Now I can store all of my good lumber in about 5 horizontal feet of wall space! Plus I can cheat and put even longer boards on the upper shelves. Perhaps I will post some pictures this weekend :)

Bonus: I was able to build the entire thing out of random scraps and findings, with the exception of a single 2x3. Prior to building this cart, everything just got thrown up in the rafters wherever there was a nip of room. This was not a good situation in terms of keeping things visible, organized, or scratch free... As I am just starting to do more fine work, I will just say that this was a very timely addition to my 'shop'.

Thanks Chet, Marc, and all who contributed to 'Racking My Brain'!

I got my shelves mounted to the walls, but I'm not convinced of the holding strength of the masonry screws I used to hold the vertical 2x4's to the block wall. Going to Hit Lowes to try and get something stronger before I load it up with lumber. Will share pics when done.