Gluing after finishing

un_boeing

Hi,

I just built an L shaped computer desk out of red oak. I wanted to put danish oil on it as I am really fond of keeping as much of the natural color of the wood as possible. I went with the golden oak shade, and after a day or so i added a coat of medium walnut (after my girlfriend suggested it). The color is beautiful and I am waiting for it to completely dry before finishing everything with satin polyurethane. My problem (this is my first project) is that I applied the danish oil on all the parts of the apron BEFORE gluing them to the top. They all have doweling holes corresponding to holes in the top, as I thought it would add strength to the join. As soon as I was done with that I began realizing that wood glue might not work now. So I was wondering what my solutions could be, if any? Here's a picture I took just now. Help, please?

post-4527-0-33641600-1303157401_thumb.jp

Why glue? Typically tops are screwed to the bases. If it is solid wood top, then you need to account for wood movement. If it is plywood top, then you can screw directly. if solid wood, you can mount some slotted brackets to the inside of the aprons which will allow the wood to move without splitting.

That is an interesting idea. However, I used very little screws throughout the whole project. There are 2 holding the drawer handle in place and 8 tiny ones for the two electrical receptacles mounted inside the apron. And, of course, each removable leg will be held in place by 2 bolts with their respective nuts. But that's all the metal in the project and I am pretty proud of it. The entire project is solid oak. The whole reason I drilled doweling holes in the apron pieces with corresponding holes in the top was to get a solid joint without having to use metal brackets and screws. Plus, less metal means more tolerance to the natural movement of the wood. I guess my question was whether there is a glue and a gluing technique out there that will yield comparable results to wood glue, since that is no longer an option... Here's a picture of where the joint would be...post-4527-0-54719200-1303259503_thumb.jp

For moving I made the legs detachable. That's why I would like to glue the apron to the top, especially since I have the dowel holes already. I was wondering what glue would do the trick though, as the wood is saturated with danish oil where the joints would be... Would epoxy work, or is it too rigid or it won't stick to the cured wood either?