pattern bits

t-bone

If you're using a guide clamped on to your stock to run the router base against, or are using a guide bushing, use an upcut spiral. If you've got to run a bearing against the pattern, a short top mounted bearing straight cutter will work. Generally speaking, the thicker and shorter the bit, the less the flex and chance of breaking, and the more material can be removed. I use a 1/2" shank whenever I can.

If you're using a guide clamped on to your stock to run the router base against, or are using a guide bushing, use an upcut spiral. If you've got to run a bearing against the pattern, a short top mounted bearing straight cutter will work. Generally speaking, the thicker and shorter the bit, the less the flex and chance of breaking, and the more material can be removed. I use a 1/2" shank whenever I can.

thank you very much,happy woodworking

i have to cut a 86 deg. cut am making bench dogs

I am picturing this to be the cut on the stem of the bench dog. And you will attach a thin strip to act like a spring? The dogs are square?

At 86 deg, I would make a longer strip on the table saw with the blade tilted at 86 deg then cross cut those pieces off to make the individual dogs.

Tim

I am picturing this to be the cut on the stem of the bench dog. And you will attach a thin strip to act like a spring? The dogs are square?

At 86 deg, I would make a longer strip on the table saw with the blade tilted at 86 deg then cross cut those pieces off to make the individual dogs.

Tim

thanks that makes sence i am new so it took a bit to see that but your right the angle is at the bottom which makes it 86 deg. (right) one thing how would you measure 86 deg. on the saw