Using tree branches for table legs

andreas

I was letting my imagination run wild during a long drive today and started thinking about the maple trees in my neighbourhood. It would be really interesting to dry out some straight branches, strip the bark and use them as table legs for rustic furniture. Not only are they free, but I think this could lead to some really beautiful designs. I might try making a shop stool as an experiment. Has anyone tried this? What are the pitfalls of working with sap wood like this?

Branches will be reaction wood, meaning that they grew horizontally and developed "muscle" to resist the pull of gravity. If you rip them, they will bow and probably twist. I don't know what will happen if you leave them as is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on you as they dried, and later as the seasons changed.

You'll need to let them dry: one year per inch of thickness. Kiln drying will take less time.

Since they are free, grab a few and put them aside to dry, and see what happens.