Do I need a big compressor?

DarrenJohnston

Right now I have a small pancake compressor for nailers (primarily used to build a shed), but I've been debating getting a larger unit for my garage shop. I'd like to get into spray finishing and would default to a turbine unit, but ever since I saw the Woodturning Workshop make sandblasted vessels, I'm really interested in trying it.

So here's my question: Is it practical for me to get a compressor capable of spray finishing and small sandblasting? The benchtop blast cabinets I've seen want 15 CFM @ 90 PSI. Can I get something that large for $800 (not enthusiastic about HF, BTW)? Vertical is better for my space, and less than 24" in diameter. I suppose having it on wheels is out of the question...

Am I just missing the good options, or should I just go with a Earlex-like sprayer?

If you want to do sandblasting you are going to have to buy a bigger compressor of course. But if you just want to spray finishes you could buy the critter spray gun which supposedly can work on a pancake compressor without any great difficulty.

Interesting, but I wasn't really expecting to keep using my existing compressor for spraying use. It was really more of a statement about how little pneumatic stuff I have currently.

I don't know much about the pro's and con's of different systems, but was expecting to get something more... substantial than the Critter.

Because the project I just finished had a lot of tight spaces, and I had a limited budget, I bought the woodriver HVLP sprayer, even though my compressor (6Gal Pancake) is undersized. It worked fine. Sometimes I would need to pause to let the compressor fill back up, but it was definitely useable.

The limitation of a small compressor is not the ability to run certain tools, but rather then length of time they can be ran before the compressor needs to refill. In some cases some tools may pull out air faster than the air compressor can keep up, and the pressure the tool needs is lost. Also, many compressors rate how long they are able to be ran for each hour (mine is 30 minutes out of every hour) to prevent over heating. So, could you attempt to use sand blasting equipment on pancake compressor? Yes, in short bursts. Is going to be optimal? No probably not, and you risk burning out the motor.

Now, for what my plans are, unless my compressor just flat out quits on me, and is too costly to repair, I have no plans to replace the compressor. I personally have been looking at the Earlex sprayer myself. The advantage I see with the Earlex is that it is designed to give you the constant air pressure you need to run the gun in a dedicated machine. Also, it is fairly compact. The earlex and a pancake take less room to store than a large compressor. The advantage of the larger compressor, is that for the most part you will get constant air pressure, but you can run other tools on it as well.

Fifteen CFM is what will be required to run the sandblaster nonstop. That is alot of air. You can find compressors that will do it, but they are expensive models that run autobody shops. For no more than you will probably ever do will ever do you could get a 60gal from a box store way under your price point. Just pause for a minute and let the compressor catch up. They are not mobile and 220v direct wire out of the box.

A two stage compressor is more efficient. Most stationary units are designed to be piped in, so a regulator, dyer, and pipe(not pvc)is going to be required.

OK, so I've heard comments like "vendors over-claim the CFM output" and "tools work better at the high end of their CFM rating", which made me more conservative in sizing a compressor. Based on the comments here, maybe you guys can comment on a potential setup...

Here's a DeWalt D55168 stand-up w/ wheels. 15 gallons @ 200 psi, claims 5.4 SCFM @ 90 psi.

I'd like to power this sand blaster (Benchtop blaster cabinet)) at about 20% duty. I can take a big recharge time for this purpose. Tool claims 7-15 CFM @ 80-125 psi.

I'd need to power a HVLP gun (maybe like this?). This example needs 8 CFM @ 40 psi, which should be the same as 3.5 CFM @ 90 psi (I think). I want this to operate 100% duty cycle, because waiting while finish is probably not good for me, personal preference I guess.

So how far off am I? Cutting corners? Oversized? Over thinking?