Staining Cedar for Outdoors

MichaelWisniewski

Hi!

This is a gray area on the forum as nobody has brought this up in the finishing area yet. I have a feeling that the forum is for 'fine woodworking' and not really house maintenance, but feel like this could also be applied as many of us making outdoor furniture. I've recently taken on the task of building a sliding glider from the woodworking magazine and it would be good knowledge on how to finish this as well.

Anyways, my question is that I have about a 200' western cedar fence in my backyard that I'm looking at staining. The fence is about 5 months old and still looks new. It hasn't grayed, doesn't have much dirt on it, or anything like that. My first question is do I have to powerwash it if it looks OK? My second question is what to use on it so it will last the longest. I'm thinking about using Cabot's Semi-Solid Deck & Siding Stain #1400 Series on it, spraying it with an airless sprayer and then backbrushing it.

Is Cabot's good stuff? Would you recommend using something else?

Thanks!

First, DON'T power wash it. It'll ruin it. If you need to, sand it. As far as a finish, it all depends on your purpose and what type of longevity and ease of refinishing in the future you want. If you want the look of the cedar an oil based exterior stain or just an oil. The more parts per million of particles the better for UV protection. I often use Behr's solid stain, as I live in the desert and the sun is gonna do damage quickly. I do a light sanding where anything has peeled and refinish when needed. I just always make sure to do an entire "section" when I do, so it all matches.

Sikkens Cetol. They have two different products. The Log and Cabin is really fantastic. You can also get the Primer ... Cetol 1 ... then go with a second coat of Cetol 23. This is the best. Since I live in Southern California, I can't get the Cetol 23 here ... I have friends that drive to Vegas where everything is legal.