Patina for Brass Hardware

JohnnyNoName

I have some solid brass hinges that I need to darken to closer match some pulls. Has anyone tried this before? I found these instructions, but I want to see if anyone has a better way

Here are the hinges

32908-01-500.jpg

And these are the pulls. I am trying to match "A".

01w33xxg2b.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

==============================================

http://www.finishing.com/1000-1199/1198.shtml - Read question and then Hong Lim’s answer first (5th reply down), and then Jeff Mucci (7th reply down), and then the rest of the posts as you will. Maybe use the back of one hinge or a spare hinge to test this method on.

If Palmolive works, I will be so happy. It seems a lot easier then the method I was going to try.

Thanks! I will let you know.

Jonathan

===============================================

3151525757_053fb91fb6_m.jpg3183321287_dfc7151f56_m.jpg3183321573_d0df456119_m.jpg

I took a vitamin bottle drilled a bunch of holes in it, then cut the top off to fit inside a pickle jar. Basically making a little basket. Put some ammonia in the jar. A little block of wood so the basket would rest on the wood and not in the ammonia.

Works great...JUST MAKE SURE THE HINGES ARE SOLID BRASS or you will eat through the plating. You should check every so often on your color change. In about an hour I had the color I was looking for.

-Ace-

3151525757_053fb91fb6_m.jpg3183321287_dfc7151f56_m.jpg3183321573_d0df456119_m.jpg

I took a vitamin bottle drilled a bunch of holes in it, then cut the top off to fit inside a pickle jar. Basically making a little basket. Put some ammonia in the jar. A little block of wood so the basket would rest on the wood and not in the ammonia.

Works great...JUST MAKE SURE THE HINGES ARE SOLID BRASS or you will eat through the plating. You should check every so often on your color change. In about an hour I had the color I was looking for.

-Ace-

Oooohhh... Another good idea. Thanks Ace!

Jonathan

===================================