Another finish question.

mpatrick

I am applying the finish to the top of my project and I'm getting waves in the finish. By waves I mean theres sections where its glossy and then section where it looks like it still dry. Like hills and valleys. I am using a raking light, putting on an even coat, I just don't understand what is happening. I can get some pictures when i get home from work later today if that would help. I just kinda want some opinions on what I should do. Of course the rest of the project finished pretty well and now it starts to screw up on the top.

Pictures would help for sure if you can capture what's going on with a camera (sometimes that's difficult). My guess, though, is that the wood is absorbing the finish unevenly. The dull places are where the wood is still soaking up finish and where it hasn't had a chance to build a film yet. The shiny spots are where it's absorbing less and the film is starting to build. If my guess is correct, the solution is to just keep at it until the finish starts to build everywhere.

But my guess may be wrong. So besides the pictures, some more info would help figure out what's going on. Stuff like this:

1. What kind of wood is it?

2. What kind of finish are you applying, and how are you applying it?

3. How many coats have you applied already?

4. Etc.

-- Russ

Here's some more info:

1. Walnut ply with maple edging ( only having the problem with the ply)

2. Shellac ( sealcoat ) as a sealer then Arm-r-seal, wipe on following the marc's dvd.

3. 1 coat shellac , 2 coats arm-r-seal gloss.

4. I am wiping it on with the grain, and getting the streaks across the grain it that helps.

Hmm. (Shellac sealer coat) + (wiping with the grain) + (streaks across the grain) = I don't know.

Somebody smarter than me will have to figure this one out. Ace, are you there?

mpatrick, how far apart are the streaks?

-- Russ

Cross grain streaks eh? Seems to me like something odd with this plywood. That layer of veneer is pretty darn thin so it doesn't take much for the underlayment or glue layer to influence the topcoat in some way. By the time you're on that second coat of arm-r-seal, you should start building a film. So I would say continue wiping on another coat. If there is some odd absorption issue, more coats will make them go away. If not, well....let's not think about the alternatives just yet. :) And definitely try to snap a picture when you can.

rmac- the dull streaks are maybe every 6-8 inches about 4-5 inches wide.

marc- I am hoping I don't have to do the alternative. I will get a pic when I get home. I am also afraid that amount coats will be too much to achieve the finish I am after, would you suggest thinning the arm-r-seal down a bit.

marc- I am hoping I don't have to do the alternative. I will get a pic when I get home. I am also afraid that amount coats will be too much to achieve the finish I am after, would you suggest thinning the arm-r-seal down a bit.

I wouldn't. Ultimately, the finish needs to build in order to even out the overall sheen. Thinning will just make that process take longer. If the finish gets a little thicker than you really want, you can always abrade the surface afterward to tone down the gloss and give you more of a natural look. Not ideal, but if it solves the problem it might be worth it.

Well I couldn't get a very good picture of the phenomenon. Its probably my lighting. When I left this morning I had just applied the second coat of arm-r-seal and it seems to have helped a bit, so i guess I will just keep applying my coats as usual. P1030241.JPG