Dyes/Color mixed with natural finish

shreddingmaterial

I'm new to woodworking and have a lot to learn. However, I'm working on a mahogany sculpture and having trouble with the finishing. I want to add an ebonized section to the wood and not sure how to do it. For example taking a plank of mahogany say 24" wide and then adding a 3" ebonized stripe down the middle. I'd like to get crisp sides, so would I use dye and does dye bleed? How can I allow the grain to show through the dye or other color technique but still be "ebony". I plan on finishing the rest with a clear seal-coat dewaxed shellac (I think). I'm trying to put some depth/richness in the wood and want a semi-polish look so hopefully the shellac will work.

So really I have two questions:

1. How to achieve the ebony stripe with crisp sides and with grain pattern shown through.

3. Will the clear seal-coat dewaxed shellac be a good choice for depth of grain and semi polish look (and applicable for a novice)?

Any suggestions appreciated.

(see attachment, note the sides are much darker and were put on by some sort of stain/dye not sure how this was acheived. Sides are crisp to faces of natural wood - also not sure how this was finished)

untitleddddd.bmp